DMRC, R-Infra passing the Express buck: DikshitJuly 16th, 2012 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Monday said the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and Reliance Infrastructure are indulging in “passing the buck” over the suspension of operations of the Airport Metro Express line.
“There is passing of buck currently therefore we should get a third party so that it can find out what caused the problem,” Dikshit told reporters.
“The committee will find out and submit its report to secretary of urban development ministry then they will be able to come to a conclusion,” she said.
The Airport Metro, which ferries over 15,000 people daily over a 23-km line, covers the distance between New Delhi railway station and Indira Gandhi International Airport in 18 minutes.
A joint venture between DMRC and Reliance Infra, operations on the line were suspended from July 8 after some faults were detected on the civil structure on the corridor.
“Our main concern is that there should be no issue of safety and efficiency. Safety and smooth train running are the most important issue,” the chief minister said.
However, both the entities have blamed each other for the suspension of services.
DMRC chief Mangu Singh, in a letter to Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath, had said that the situation could have been a averted if the concessionaire had detected defects on time.
When asked about Singh’s letter to Nath, Dikshit said: “I cannot comment on his statement.”
However, concessionaire Reliance Infrastructure has hit back at the DMRC, retorting that the corporation had endangered the lives of commuters.
While the civil structure on the line has been built by Delhi Metro, the Reliance Infra is responsible for operations and maintenance.
- Shorter airport metro services likely to resume (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Airport Metro line services suspended from Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
- Probe into airport Metro flaws, August-end re-start unlikely - Jul 16, 2012
- Delhi's airport Metro may re-start late August (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2012
- Government proposes restart of Airport Metro - Aug 22, 2012
- Dikshit hasn't lost hope yet on Delhi's Airport Metro - Sep 10, 2012
- Airport Metro to remain shut till late August (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Repair work of Airport Metro to end by October: Kamal Nath - Sep 17, 2012
- Delhi Airport Metro repair to cost Rs.12 crore - Aug 08, 2012
- Delhi Airport Express resumption date unclear - Aug 14, 2012
- Metro Man Sreedharan switches tracks, retires Saturday - Dec 30, 2011
- Airport Metro open to filmmakers - Oct 19, 2011
- Metro Man rides into sunset, to pass baton to Mangu Singh (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- DMRC signs MoU with Haryana for Badarpur-Faridabad link - Mar 26, 2012
- Efforts on to start Metro's Airport Express Line before Games - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: chief minister, civil structure, commuters, concessionaire, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, development minister, development ministry, dmrc, ferries, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, kamal nath, mangu, metro express, operations and maintenance, passing the buck, railway station, sheila dikshit, urban development