Disabled should help enumerators to prepare correct censusJanuary 29th, 2011 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 28 (IANS) Disabled people should not hide their disabilities and help the enumerators to prepare correct census data to enable the government to effectively implement the projects for them, an official said Friday.”According to 2001 census, 22 million people are estimated to be differently abled, while in West Bengal the figure accounts for 2 million, which is just 2.3 per cent of the total population of the state. But while issuing certificates it was found that there were several anomalies in the data. So, a proper census is needed immediately,” said Assistant Disability Commissioner Ketaki Ranjan Adhikari.
“If a proper census could be prepared with the exact figure and category, it will help the government to initiate effective projects for the differently abled persons according to their category,” said Adhikari while addressing a seminar ‘Development, Rights and Disability’ organised by the states’ Disability Activists Forum (DAF) here at the Book Fair.
The census will be conducted between Feb 9 and 28 across the country and there will be a separate question in the questionnaire for the disabled.
However, no certificates for proving their disabilities are required while filling the questionnaire, he said.
“A workshop will be organised during that first week of February to help the differently abled persons and their guardians to interact with the enumerators freely while filling the census form,” a DAF office-bearer said.
- Enumerators to get security cover in Maoist-hit areas in Bengal - Feb 03, 2011
- Census enumeration to start Feb 9 - Feb 07, 2011
- India begins 1.2 billion population headcount (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2011
- India begins headcount of its 1.2 billion population (Intro Roundup) - Feb 09, 2011
- Independent India's first caste census kicks off (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Independent India's first caste census kicks-off - Jun 29, 2011
- Vice President Ansari enumerated for second phase of Census 2011 - Feb 09, 2011
- Soldiers and troopers for head count in census phase-2 - Feb 05, 2011
- 90 percent of Kerala homes have telephone - Mar 30, 2012
- NGO sensitises census enumerators on disability issue - Jan 15, 2011
- US Census Bureau: More than 100 census takers attacked this month - May 28, 2010
- New clue into cellular aging identified - Jul 08, 2010
- Chidambaram unveils mascot of Census enumerator - Feb 02, 2011
- Over 200 or 70: Difference in Sundarbans tiger numbers? - Mar 28, 2011
- Census exercise in Gujarat to begin Feb 9 - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: adhikari, anomalies, census data, certificates, daf, disabilities, disability activists, disability commissioner, disabled people, exact figure, figure accounts, guardians, jan 28, office bearer, questionnaire, seminar development, total population, west bengal