Dikshit urges more women representatives in MCDApril 22nd, 2011 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Thursday said 50 percent seats will be reserved for women under the new set up proposed for the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
Addressing a symposium on the Role of Women in the forthcoming MCD elections, Dikshit said: “Fifty percent seats will be reserved under the new set up of MCD for women. This will provide an excellent opportunity for women to be part of decision-making process in MCD, which is a important local body in the capital city.”
The Delhi cabinet recently proposed to split the MCD into five smaller bodies ahead of the 2012 municipal polls.
She also exhorted women to get ready to contest elections as the parties will be looking for more and more women candidates.
“More young and aspiring women should work on responsible position and women with their caring values will be able to become an effective force in the municipal power set up,” Dikshit added.
- Delhi civic agency to be split into three (Second Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Delhi's civic corporation to be split into three (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Delhi cabinet clears bill to split MCD (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Fourth lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- MCD split: Special session Nov 30 to pass bill - Nov 25, 2011
- MCD elections: Sheila attacks BJP - Mar 12, 2012
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Ahead of Delhi civic polls, Gadkari attacks Congress - Apr 03, 2012
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Intro Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi cabinet clears bill to split MCD - Jun 14, 2011
- Home ministry nod for MCD's trifurcation - Nov 23, 2011
- MCD campaign: BJP banks on stars, Congress on ministers - Apr 07, 2012
- No new taxes, medical college: BJP promises for civic polls - Apr 08, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP headed for win (Third Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Civic polls: Did trifurcation move boomerang? - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: aspiring women, chief minister, decision making process, effective force, elections, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, New Delhi, polls, responsible position, role of women, sheila dikshit, symposium