Dikshit launches hop-on, hop-off tourist bus service (Lead)September 27th, 2010 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 27 (IANS) The much-awaited hop-on, hop-off tourist bus service was formally launched in the Commonwealth Games host city Monday — observed as World Tourism Day — to provide visitors a smooth ride to monuments, museums and markets.
The commercial operations of the 14 purple-coloured air-conditioned buses will begin Oct 1. From Sep 28-30 the buses will offer free rides to under-privileged children and senior citizens.
The hop-on, hop-off bus service was launched by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit. The service is a joint venture between Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC), Prasanna Purple Mobility Solutions Private Ltd and Urban Mass Transit Company Ltd (UMTC).
Hoping that tourists in the capital will like the service popularly known as “Hoho”, the chief minister said that the buses will run across the city covering many important tourist destinations like monuments, museums and markets.
“Tourists can hop on and hop off at any of the stops along the way as per their convenience. The buses will ply at an interval of every half an hour from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. through the year,” Dikshit said.
Dikshit said that the number of buses will be increased after taking into consideration the feedback received from tourists.
The bus will charge Rs.300 from adult, and Rs.150 from every child less than three feet in height.
Every bus will have a guest relations executive who will give information about the sites along the tour route.
According to officials, one can hop off the bus at any ‘Hoho’ bus point and explore the site, museum or market and again hop on to the bus from the same point and continue with the trip.
The official said the buses are spacious, air-conditioned and have on-board entertainment facilities. Tickets can be booked online at www.hohodelhi.com or www.delhitourism.gov.in. Tourists can also buy tickets after hopping on to the bus.
Modelled on the lines of such facilities in the European countries, the bus service will start from Baba Kharak Singh Marg in Connaught Place in New Delhi.
Some of the other important locations where the buses will stop include Delhi Gate, Red Fort, Rajghat, National Gallery of Modern Art, Purana Quila, Humayun Tomb, Lotus Temple, Qutab Minar and Safdarjung Tomb.
- Sheila Dikshit launches 14 'Ho Ho' air-conditioned tourist buses for Dilli Darshan - Sep 27, 2010
- Delhi's hop-on, hop-off buses a big hit among Congress workers - Dec 20, 2010
- Delhi's hop-on, hop-off bus service from Monday - Sep 25, 2010
- Luring day-trippers - Delhi's HOHO buses change gear (Feature) (With Images) - Jul 15, 2012
- Hop-on, hop-off tourist bus service in Delhi - Sep 10, 2010
- Dikshit dedicates tourist bus service - Sep 27, 2010
- Hop-on hop-off tourist bus service in Delhi by Sep 15 - Jun 28, 2010
- World class transport facilities in Delhi for Games - Jul 19, 2010
- Cluster bus service launched in Delhi - May 05, 2011
- Agra promises a better deal for tourists - Aug 07, 2011
- Special sight-seeing buses in Agra during CWG - Jul 04, 2010
- Heat hits tourism in Agra (With Image) - May 28, 2012
- Delhi gets CNG-electric hybrid buses - Sep 18, 2010
- Another cluster bus service launched - Nov 15, 2011
- Jackie Shroff inaugurates BEST's eco-friendly buses (With Images) - Jul 04, 2010
Tags: bus point, charge rs, commercial operations, commonwealth games, delhi tourism, delhitourism, entertainment facilities, free rides, hop on hop off bus, host city, mobility solutions, privileged children, senior citizens, spacious air, taking into consideration, tourist bus, transit company, transportation development, urban mass transit, world tourism day