`Difficult times for for budget airlines’June 18th, 2008 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, June 17 (IANS) Budget carriers will find it difficult to survive with fuel prices and airport charges going up, an airline official said Tuesday. “The low cost model will not survive,” Akbar Al Baker, chief executive officer of Qatar Airways, said, adding that his company at present has no plans to launch a budget airline.
“However, if we see a low cost airline evolving in our region and our market share is eroded, we can launch a budget airline in 90 days,” he added.
The airline had launched its daily Doha-Kozhikode service Monday.
Qatar Airways currently operates 58 flights a week from Doha to nine cities in India, including three destinations in Kerala.
Al Baker said the airline plans to take the delivery of its third Boeing 777 aircraft this summer. This will be followed by fleet expansion programme over the next few years with an average of one aircraft being added every month.
He said the airline in partnership with Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Shell International Petroleum had been conducting research on using gas-to-kerosene hybrid fuel for its aircraft.
- Qatar Airways to use synthetic fuel blend - Nov 23, 2011
- Qatar Airways doubles its fleet - Mar 04, 2010
- Qatar Airways signs pact with Wipro for IT solutions (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Qatar Airways to start Kolkata operations July 27 - Mar 10, 2011
- Qatar Airways signs pact with Wipro for IT solutions - Sep 12, 2012
- Air India to get demo-trial on Boeing 787 next week - Jul 06, 2011
- After all clear, Qantas to resume A380 flights to US - Jan 12, 2011
- Air Austral, Okay Airways and Qatar Airways order new Boeing aircraft - Jul 21, 2010
- Boeing to deliver 100 aircraft to India in five years - Mar 14, 2012
- Qatar Airways makes around $7 billion Airbus order - Nov 16, 2011
- Thai Airways orders six Boeing 777s in deal valued at $1.7 billion - Aug 19, 2011
- Ajit Singh calls Air India unions for talks (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- 100th aircraft to join Jet Airways fleet - Nov 17, 2011
- Qatar Airways backs FDI in aviation - Nov 23, 2011
- Airbus bags order for 50 planes - Nov 15, 2011
Tags: airbus, airline official, airport charges, boeing 777, budget airline, budget airlines, budget carriers, chief executive officer, conducting research, difficult times, doha, fleet expansion, fuel prices, international petroleum, kerosene, kozhikode, low cost airline, market share, qatar airways, shell international