Diesel price deregulation not inevitable: BasuMarch 3rd, 2011 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 3 (IANS) Deregulation in the prices of diesel was not inevitable, chief economic adviser to the finance ministry Kaushik Basu said Thursday, and added that the government may be forced to pass on the increased cost to the consumers due to soaring global crude oil prices.
“Diesel price deregulation is not inevitable,” Basu told reporters at an industry summit organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), while adding that the government may take the step if crude prices continue to rise.
According to Basu, the diesel pricing issue essentially depends on crude oil prices, which are on the upward swing due to geopolitical crises in the Middle East and North African region coupled with financial instability in Europe.
The petroleum ministry and other government agencies, he said, were of the similar view that prices would have to be deregulated if they hit $150 per barrel from the highs of $115 per barrel recorded earlier.
- Diesel price deregulation not now: Oil secretary - Oct 27, 2010
- Ministerial panel to decide on diesel price hike next week (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Government compelled to hike fuel price: Reddy - Aug 04, 2011
- Ministerial panel to decide diesel price hike Dec 22 - Dec 15, 2010
- Diesel price to go up if inflation comes down: Rangarajan - Oct 20, 2011
- Indian Oil Corporation raises jet fuel prices by 4.5 percent - Jan 31, 2011
- Petrol price to be cut if global crude prices slip further: Minister - Aug 09, 2011
- Reddy rules out diesel price hike - Jan 20, 2011
- Fresh petrol price hike of Rs.1.80 per litre - Nov 03, 2011
- South Korea faces consumer price instability - Mar 06, 2012
- Fuel prices to fall if global prices dip further (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Oil firms mulling another price hike - Nov 01, 2011
- Finance ministry advisor suggests small diesel price decontrol - Jun 13, 2012
- Fuel price decision to make country efficient: Experts - Jun 25, 2010
- Petrol price hike linked to international fluctuation: Pranab - Dec 15, 2010
Tags: cii, confederation of indian industry, consumers, crises in the middle east, crude oil prices, crude prices, deregulation, diesel price, economic adviser, europe, finance ministry, financial instability, industry summit, kaushik basu, New Delhi, other government agencies, petroleum ministry, upward swing