Dhaka asks Grameen Bank chief to step down, Yunus refusesFebruary 15th, 2011 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Feb 15 (IANS) The Bangladesh government has asked Muhammad Yunus to “step aside” as the chief of Grameen Bank pending completion of a probe into the micro credit pioneer and its various business arms, but the Nobel Laureate has refused, the finance minister said.Finance Minister A.M.A. Muhith Monday said the government had asked Yunus to stay away from Grameen Bank as long as a review was on.
“I suggested Yunus should step aside as Grameen Bank’s managing director, transferring his powers to the deputy managing director,” Muhith told BBC Bangla Service.
“I think it would have been better if Yunus had stayed away for some time,” Muhith said.
According to the minister, Yunus rejected the suggestion, and said Grameen Bank would collapse in his absence.
“I don’t think Yunus can run Grameen Bank throughout his life,” the finance minister was quoted as saying by The Daily Star.
Yunus, who founded Grameen as a small venture, has been at the helm for nearly four decades.
The minister said the relevant law does not allow anybody to stay in the same post for so long.
The government formed a five-member review committee to probe the activities of Grameen after allegations of irregularities in fund transfer surfaced about the micro financier.
Muhith said the government is undecided on its next step and was awaiting recommendations from the review committee that was asked to turn in its report in three month’s time from January.
BBC Bangla Service said it did not receive any immediate comment from Yunus.
Yunus faced controversy last year when a Norwegian documentary accused him of illegally transferring money meant for micro credit to the telecom arm. Yunus denied it and the Norwegian government later cleared him of the charge.
- 'Charges against Muhammad Yunus politically motivated' - Feb 18, 2011
- Bangladesh forms panel on Grameen Bank - May 16, 2012
- Bangladesh Govt. asks Muhammad Yunus to give up Grameen Bank post - Feb 16, 2011
- Bangladesh to probe Grameen 'irregularities' - Dec 23, 2010
- Government probe clears Yunus on handling of foreign funds - Apr 26, 2011
- Bangladesh's Grameen bank chief Yunus steps down - May 13, 2011
- Bangladesh govt.announces probe into Grameen Bank over diversion of aid money - Jan 13, 2011
- Bangladesh government announces new Grameen Bank chief - May 12, 2011
- Yunus removal didn't help country's image: Minister - Mar 04, 2011
- Bangladesh Grameen Bank denies diverting millions of aid money to other projects - Dec 04, 2010
- Bangladesh apex court confirms Yunus removal from Grameen Bank (Second Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Grameen Bank urgently needs a regulator: probe report - Apr 27, 2011
- Yunus quits as Grameen Bank managing director (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Talks on for compromise with Grameen's Yunus - Mar 25, 2011
- 'Grameen' Yunus refutes $100 mn anomalies charge - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: allegations, bangladesh government, bbc bangla service, controversy, daily star, documentary, finance minister, financier, four decades, grameen bank, helm, irregularities, managing director, micro credit, muhammad yunus, nobel laureate, norwegian government, pioneer, relevant law, transferring money