Dhaka approves $7 bn for development projectsMay 20th, 2012 - 3:44 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 20 (IANS) The Bangladesh government Saturday approved 550 billion taka ($7 billion) for undertaking developmental projects during the fiscal year 2012-13.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the National Economic Council, the country’s highest economic policy-making body, chaired by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in Dhaka.
Bhuiyan Shafiqul Islam, secretary of the planning ministry, said of the total amount 314.50 billion taka will come from the government and the rest from external sources.
Power and communications sectors are the biggest beneficiaries. Nearly 80 billion taka allocated for the power sector and about 77 billion taka for the communications sector.
The 2012-13 fiscal year will begin in July, Xinhua reported.
The government has also approved $3 billion for the construction of a bridge over Padma river, one of the country’s three major rivers. It will be 10 km-long.
Islam said about 1,030 projects will be covered under the developmental plan.
- Bangladesh to fund Padma bridge project - Jul 09, 2012
- Bangladesh gets $1.2bn World Bank loan for bridge - Apr 28, 2011
- Bangladesh, China sign deal for bridge - Jan 04, 2012
- Bangladesh urges World Bank to release funds for bridge - Jul 26, 2012
- Big Japanese aid for Bangladesh bridge - Nov 30, 2010
- Failure to tackle green issues could hurt growth: Ecologists - Apr 17, 2012
- Indian IT service industry to cross $100 bn revenue mark - Feb 08, 2012
- PMEAC lowers 2012-13 GDP forecast to 6.7 percent - Aug 17, 2012
- World Bank to support Bangladesh river project - Sep 21, 2012
- Bangladesh gets $1 bn loan from India - Aug 07, 2010
- Marriage registration optional for Bangladeshi Hindus - May 21, 2012
- Budget highlights 4 - Mar 16, 2012
- Bangladesh invites pre-qualification bids for Padma bridge - Apr 21, 2010
- Make roads first, rail tracks later: Arunachal residents - Aug 10, 2011
- National Policy on IT approved - Sep 21, 2012
Tags: bangladesh government, beneficiaries, bhuiyan, bn, bridge, development projects, developmental projects, economic policy, external sources, fiscal year, minister sheikh hasina, national economic council, padma river, power sector, prime minister, rivers, sectors, shafiqul islam, xinhua, year 2012