Devi Singh takes charge as IIM-Lucknow director for second timeMarch 9th, 2009 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 9 (IANS) Ending six months’ uncertainty, Devi Singh Monday resumed charge as the director of the Indian Institute of Management-Lucknow (IIM-L) for the second consecutive time.
The IIM-L did not have a full-time director since Singh’s first term came to an end Aug 24, 2008 due to disagreements between the IIM-L board of governors and the human resource development ministry over giving him a second term.
The board preferred Singh to continue.
Sources said a large number of faculty members are unhappy with Singh’s coming back to the helm of the institute.
Around 30 faculty members left the institute during Singh’s tenure.
However, his supporters said it was during his tenure that the Noida campus of the IIM-Lucknow was developed as a centre for advanced learning for middle and senior level executives. Also, students’ intake in the post-graduate programme was increased from 240 in 2004 to 330 in 2008.
The institute’s revenues went up more than three times to Rs.100 million (Rs.10 crore) during his tenure.
In a statement, Singh said he would like to see the institution spread its wings not only in the country but globally during his second tenure.
“In addition, my focus will be on increasing faulty strength, looking closely at infrastructure development, and consolidating our existing programmes both at Lucknow and Noida campus,” he added.
Before joining IIM-Lucknow, Singh was the director of Management Development Institute (MDI) in Gurgaon.
He was also a visiting professor at the Faculty of Management at McGill University, Canada for five years and is an alumnus fellow of the Institute of World Affairs, Connecticut.
- IIM-Lucknow signs accord with US B-school - Sep 01, 2011
- IIM-Rohtak gets new director - Nov 16, 2010
- IIM-Lucknow to help train SC, ST candidates - Sep 07, 2012
- IIM-Lucknow launches new professional course - Jul 21, 2010
- Fight corruption, IIM-Lucknow graduating students told - Mar 23, 2011
- IIM-Lucknow to hike fees - Mar 09, 2009
- US business school ties up with IIM-Lucknow - May 09, 2012
- Future managers asked to address planet earth's problems - Mar 14, 2010
- Second-rung biz schools churning out 'unemployable' graduates? - Jun 29, 2010
- External review, more autonomy for IIMs mooted - Nov 02, 2011
- IIM-Lucknow to hike fees, up student intake - Mar 17, 2009
- Chandy, ministers at IIM to learn management mantra - Aug 18, 2011
- Two IIMs reduce recruitment fee to attract companies - Mar 10, 2010
- Over 350 job offers for IIM-Lucknow students - Mar 12, 2010
- IIM-Shillong, NSE to offer course in financial markets - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: alumnus, board of governors, consecutive time, crore, development ministry, gurgaon, human resource development, iim lucknow, indian institute of management, indian institute of management lucknow, infrastructure development, institute of management, institute of world affairs, l board, level executives, management development institute, mcgill university canada, mdi, time director, visiting professor