Department of IT gets new nameApril 20th, 2012 - 12:29 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 19 (IANS) The department of information technology (DIT) was Thursday formally named department of electronics and information technology by Minister of Communications and Information Technology Minister Kapil Sibal to give importance to the electronics sector.
“India’s electronics sector aims to achieve a turnover of about $400 billion, involving investment of about $100 billion and employment to around 28 million, by 2020,” said Sibal at the ceremony to officially rerame the department.
Recently, the cabinet secretariat amended the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules 1961 for change in the department’s name.
Sibal said that the introduction of the word ‘electronics’ in the department’s name was a signal of embarking on the development of electronics in the country.
It is essential to give this recognition to the sector if the country had to realise its dual objective of accelerating the growth momentum and enabling inclusive growth and development, said Sibal.
The minister said that a new national policy on electronics was being finalised through the process of widespread consultations. Its draft was released last October.
- Department of IT will now be DeitY - Apr 18, 2012
- Sibal endorses new telecom, IT policies - Oct 20, 2011
- National Policy on Electronics aims to employ 28 mn people: Sibal - Oct 03, 2011
- Software, services sector to grow to $105 bn by 2014 - Aug 22, 2011
- IT policy to increase revenue to $300 billion: Sibal - Oct 07, 2011
- 80 percent telecom equipment to be home-made by 2020: Sibal - Oct 10, 2011
- Cabinet to take up IT and electronics policy next week: Sibal - Jul 05, 2012
- 45,000 youth in northeast to get IT training - Apr 12, 2012
- New telecom policy seeks to remove roaming charges (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Sibal meets Sunil Mittal, Anil Ambani on telecom sector concerns - Dec 21, 2010
- New telecom policy to make India roaming-free (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Kapil Sibal takes charge of Ministries of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences - Nov 10, 2010
- Need better standards in electronics manufacturing: CII - Sep 25, 2011
- Industry hopes ministry reshuffle will push reform process - Jul 13, 2011
- Balance needed between privacy, security: Sibal - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: business rules, cabinet secretariat, consultations, department of information technology, dual objective, government of india, growth and development, growth momentum, information technology minister, kapil sibal, New Delhi, secretariat, turnover