Dell to employ more people, expand India operationsMarch 22nd, 2011 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 22 (IANS) Dell Inc, the world’s second largest personal computer maker, plans to increase investment and hire a few thousand more people over the next one year in India to expand its operations in the country, Michael Dell, founder and Chief Executive Officer of Dell Inc, said Tuesday.
“India today offers a fantastic opportunity to use technology for a wide range of applications. We see a tremendous opportunity for growth of the PC segment in this country,” Dell said at an event organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) here.
He said growth opportunity was tremendous in India as the penetration level of personal computers was 20-30 per 1,000 people.
Dell said with several acquisitions under its belt, the company has sharpened its focus on understanding the real needs of the customers in India and turned its attention to solutions in areas such as retail, finance, banking, healthcare and education.
Dell employs nearly 23,000 people in India, the largest employee base outside the United States. The company plans to hire a few thousands more people in a year or so, the CEO said.
In India, the company has adopted three focus areas — growing its India presence in the hardware business, entering into education and healthcare segment for the production of customised products and services and managing and servicing offerings sold in the country.
- India to play major role in Dell's networking plans - Sep 13, 2011
- GE bets on India; to hire 6,000 more - Sep 26, 2011
- Dell planning to slash more than $2 billion in costs - Jun 14, 2012
- Dell to spend more on enterprise solutions this year - Jul 25, 2012
- 3M unveils Rs.100 crore research centre in Bangalore - Sep 23, 2011
- MakeMyTrip scouts for acquisitions in Asia Pacific - Jun 08, 2011
- Ranbaxy, Russian region sign healthcare pact - Jan 31, 2011
- Dell showcases 7-inch Tablet Computer at the Oracle Open World Conference - Sep 23, 2010
- Fortis Healthcare to buy sister arm Fortis International - Sep 19, 2011
- Education provider raises $7.5 million venture fund - Feb 16, 2012
- Himalaya Optical ties up with Tom Davies - May 11, 2012
- Best Western to set up 66 hotels in India - Jan 06, 2012
- Nasscom confers lifetime award on Tally's Goenka - Nov 09, 2011
- Colombia seeks Indian investment in IT - Feb 03, 2011
- '2.7 bn consumers in developing countries dairy industry's next big opportunity' - May 07, 2012
Tags: acquisitions, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, chief executive officer, customised products, dell inc, ficci, focus areas, growth opportunity, hardware business, healthcare segment, india operations, india today, indian chambers of commerce, michael dell, New Delhi, penetration level, personal computer maker, personal computers, retail finance