Delhi’s VAT Department told to improve imageMay 21st, 2009 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) Delhi government’s Finance Minister A.K. Walia Thursday directed the VAT (value-added tax) department to improve its image by ensuring transparency and check corruption.
“He asked the senior officers to intensify vigil during public dealing and start maintenance of visitor’s record with an aim to curb instances of malpractices. He further instructed (them) to submit a monthly report on actions taken in this direction,” said an official statement.
Walia passed the directive at a meeting to review the functioning of the VAT department.
“It has also been decided to streamline and strengthen public grievances system. The senior officers have been asked to remain in their offices to give patient hearing to the grievances of traders so that most of the complaints could be resolved on the spot,” the statement added.
The finance minister has also decided to hold a monthly meeting to improve the department’s efficiency, and instructed officials submit returns online to prevent delay and weed out corruption and harassment.
- Delhi orders probe into tax challan forgery - May 26, 2009
- Delhi's Walled City to get a facelift ahead of Commonwealth Games - Sep 16, 2010
- PMO attempts to blunt Anna's protest campaign (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- 12,000 Delhi premises conducive for mosquito breeding: Walia - Jun 22, 2012
- Japanese encephalitis cases reported in Delhi - Sep 27, 2011
- Delhi gears up to check mosquito breeding - May 16, 2011
- Fuel traders threaten indefinite strike over diesel VAT (Lead) - Apr 09, 2010
- GoM accepts Chawla panel report on natural resources - Oct 15, 2011
- PWD hands over street lights to companies - Jul 07, 2011
- India to revamp economic intelligence agency - Apr 05, 2011
- Diesel to cost Rs.2.70 less in Delhi from July 20 - Jul 16, 2010
- Punjab abolishes VAT on rice bran and husk - Nov 13, 2010
- Power firms to maintain Delhi's street lights - Jun 22, 2011
- Issue disability certificates within week: Walia - Jun 16, 2011
- Levy on unbranded jewellery to be withdrawn: Pranab (Lead) - May 07, 2012