Delhi’s autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3July 20th, 2012 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) Auto-rickshaws and taxis in Delhi will go on strike from Aug 3 to protest the rise in prices of compressed natural gas (CNG) without any corresponding rise in fares, their union leaders said Friday.
Holding a protest at the Jantar Mantar here, members of an auto union said their repeated demands to the Delhi government to roll back the rise in CNG prices had fallen on deaf ears.
“We have given one week time for the government; if there is no roll back on CNG prices, we will increase fares and go on strike from Aug 3… we have not decided for how many days,” Rajendra Soni, president of the Bharat Auto-Rickshaw Chaalak Sangh, told IANS.
The auto-rickshaw and taxi unions said the government has increased CNG prices three times this year.
“The government has increased CNG prices three time this year alone, this is not acceptable. We tried to meet the Delhi transport minister and commissioner, but did not get any cooperation or response from the government,” Soni said.
“We don’t want to pressurise the common man by hiking the fare or going on strike, but the government has forced us to do so. If government heeds our demand and rolls back the CNG prices, we will not hike the fare,” said Raj Varma, president, Delhi Taxi Union.
Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL) had hiked CNG prices by Rs.1.75 a kg Jan 1 and by Rs.1.90 a kg March 6 and Rs.2.90 per kg on July 6.
The auto rickshaw unions also claimed that even three months after the Supreme Court order directing the Delhi transport department to issue 45,000 permits to run new auto-rickshaws in the city, the Delhi government has not done so.
“The Delhi government had also announced that a welfare board will be set up to look into the problems of drivers but till date nothing has been done,” Soni added.
- Auto, taxi fare charges likely to increase in Delhi - Jul 25, 2012
- CNG costs Rs.5.60 more a kg from midnight in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- CNG prices hiked in Delhi and neighbourhood - Mar 05, 2012
- CNG prices raised up to Rs.2 a kg in NCR (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Auto, taxi fares in Delhi likely to go up - Jun 20, 2010
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- CNG price raised by Rs.2.30 in national capital region - Sep 30, 2011
- Auto, taxi drivers protest gas price hike - May 20, 2010
- Mumbai taxis, auto-rickshaws on strike - Jun 22, 2010
- IGL raises gas prices by 0.20 paise in UP - Sep 08, 2012
- Delhi Govt may revise auto, taxi fares on Monday - Jun 20, 2010
- CNG prices raised Rs.2.90 a kg in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Delhi clears hike in auto, taxi fares (Lead) - Jun 21, 2010
- CNG price to go up by up to Rs.2 per kg - Dec 30, 2011
- Citing pubic sentiments, Dikshit withdraws VAT on CNG (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: auto rickshaw, auto union, cng, common man, compressed natural gas, deaf ears, delhi government, going on strike, indraprastha gas limited, jantar mantar, new auto, rickshaws, rs 1, rs 2, sangh, taxi union, taxi unions, transport department, transport minister, welfare board