Delhi to have 11 revenue districtsJuly 17th, 2012 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) Delhi will soon have 11 districts as the state government has given a principal approval to the decision of creating two additional revenue districts in the east and northwest areas of the city
“Principally, we have agreed to creating 11 revenue districts. Delhi has grown bigger in terms of population and with the increase of districts, efficiency in revenue administration and district administration will come,” Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit told reporters after a cabinet meeting Monday.
“But the details are being worked out on this. Principally it has been approved and it will take one or two months,” she said.
The present setup of nine districts along with 27 sub-divisions, came into existence from Jan 1 , 1997.
“The two new districts will be carved out of densely populated east Delhi and north west Delhi,” said a government official.
“We will create these districts population wise and according to norms, every district in Delhi should have a minimum population of 10 lakh,” added the official.
According to a statement from the chief minister’s office, the state law department took up the matter with the central government “for public convenience as population of Delhi has increased over a period of years”.
According to Census 2011, Delhi has a total population of 1.67 crore.
While north west district has over a population of 36 lakh, over 8 lakh people reside in north district.
North east district also has a population of 27 lakh and east has 17 lakh people.
New Delhi district has the least population (133,000).
South and south west Delhi have a population of 27 and 22 lakh respectively.
Around five lakh people reside in central Delhi and west Delhi has 21 lakh residents.
- Delhi civic agency to be split into three (Second Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Delhi's civic corporation to be split into three (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Tripura to get more administrative blocks: Chief minister - Oct 27, 2011
- New districts, sub-divisions and blocks for Tripura - Dec 28, 2011
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Home ministry nod for MCD's trifurcation - Nov 23, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Bengal to form panel on Gorkha council - Jun 16, 2012
- Poor rain hits paddy transplantation in Bihar - Jul 30, 2012
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Intro Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Tribal group calls for Bengal poll boycott - Apr 08, 2011
- World Bank extends $130 mn loan for North East development - Jan 20, 2012
- Karnataka geared to meet drought, says Gowda - Oct 08, 2011
- India to screen entire population for cancer, heart ailment - Dec 13, 2011
- Garbage-free Bangalore by Monday, promise authorities - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: cabinet meeting, central delhi, central government, chief minister, crore, district administration, east delhi, government official, lakh, minimum population, New Delhi, norms, northwest areas, population of delhi, public convenience, revenue administration, sheila dikshit, state government, total population, west delhi