Delhi to auction fancy vehicle registration numbersJuly 31st, 2012 - 1:42 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 31 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Monday said that the state cabinet has approved allotment of fancy registration numbers for four wheeled private vehicles through auction. The proceeds will be used for public welfare purposes.
“The amount such accumulated would be transferred to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund for enhancing the sphere of grant during natural calamities and for the needy persons facing hardships,” she at a press briefing after Monday’s cabinet meeting.
Under the new system, the minimum reserve price (MRP) for the number 0001 will be Rs.5 lakh. Similarly, MRP for category 2 numbers 0002 to 0009 will be Rs. 3 lakh each, while that for category 3 number like 0010 to 0099, 0786, 1111, 7777 and 9999 will be Rs.2 lakh each.
The MRP for the last category which includes fancy number like 0100, 0111 upto 8000, 0108, 1008 and 1313, will be Rs.1 lakh each. Any other specific number, which doesn’t belong to any of the above categories, will have an MRP of Rs.20,000.
According to Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, every motor vehicle must be registered and carry a registration number. However, to facilitate the new system of registration of vehicles, a new rule — 34 A — will be incorporated in the Delhi Motor Vehicles Rules, 1993.
Under the new system, the vehicles of the VIPs as well as the vehicles of state and union government departments will be entitled for allotment of fancy numbers without payment of additional fees.
Diskhit said that the new system will overcome the ongoing irregularities and would ensure overall transparency.
- In Chandigarh, 'AK-47' sells for Rs.3.10 lakh - Oct 10, 2011
- Rs.7 lakh to remain 'number one' on Chandigarh roads - Apr 30, 2011
- Chandigarh car number goes for whopping Rs.26 lakh! - Aug 09, 2012
- Chandigarh loves numbers game - even at high cost! - Aug 19, 2012
- Chandigarh residents splurge on VIP car numbers (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 27, 2012
- Vehicle number 0001 goes for Rs. 10 lakh in Chandigarh - May 16, 2010
- Tamil Nadu to modernise its checkposts - Jul 07, 2012
- Paying millions to become No.1 in Chandigarh - May 24, 2010
- Delhi to register 'eligible' Madrasahs, finance them - Apr 27, 2012
- Tripura introduces high security vehicle number plates - Jul 30, 2012
- Green signal for high-security number plates in Delhi - Aug 26, 2011
- Delhi NGOs to get Rs.96 lakh - Jul 08, 2011
- Chandigarh: City for 500,000 now has 800,000 vehicles - Jan 29, 2011
- High security number plates for Haryana vehicles - Jul 12, 2012
- Delhi opens e-stamp property registration office - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: allotment, cabinet meeting, category 3, chief minister, fancy numbers, government departments, lakh, motor vehicle act, mrp, natural calamities, needy persons, private vehicles, public welfare, registration number, rs 2, sheila dikshit, state cabinet, union government, vehicle registration numbers, vips