Delhi snag worries Ahmedabad bus system plannersApril 30th, 2008 - 2:43 pm ICT by admin
Ahmedabad, April 30 (IANS) After the chaos of the much hyped Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) corridor in Delhi, the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) officials here are worried as a similar system is being implemented here. This was evident Tuesday when Ahmedabad Municipal Commissioner I.P. Gautam told mediapersons that AMC has decided to learn a lesson from Delhi’s fiasco before going ahead.
A three-member panel comprising Deputy Municipal Commissioner D. Thara, H.M. Shivanand Swamy of CEPT University, Ahmedabad, and Shreya Gadpally of the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy, New Delhi will now be analysing the crux of the Delhi problem to help Ahmedabad tackle its own BRT here.
No deadline has been fixed for submitting the report nor would it delay the project. The work for the first phase of 13 km out of 45 km is progressing well and by August 15, 2008 it would be ready, said Gautam.
Two issues are being looked into: operation and design.
“I was in New Delhi last week and the nature of the project there is not exactly the same as here,” said Gautam. “The road use pattern of Delhi is quite different from ours as we are putting to use maximum road space,” he added.
He also pointed out that the main problem for the Delhi fiasco may have been due to lack of an alternative route along BRT corridor for two-wheelers and cyclists while Ahmedabad has one which will ease congestion considerably.
“We have taken care of the design. We are not changing the design of the buses,” said Gautam.
Half a dozen firms had submitted their bids to supply and operate buses on the corridor. AMC requires 200 buses and all may not be purchased in one go, Gautam said.
To run these buses, depots have to be set up along the corridor for maintenance as these buses cannot be towed like ordinary ones, he added.
- Will move apex court over bus corridor: Dikshit - Jul 17, 2012
- Delhi government slams critical report on bus corridor (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government on bus corridor - Aug 01, 2012
- Delhi government to study bus corridor report by July 23 (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Delhi bus corridor concept not bad: Court - Sep 10, 2012
- Bus corridor case sent to new high court bench - Sep 03, 2012
- Retain trial-run set-up on BRT corridor, orders court - Jul 05, 2012
- Delhi government slams critical report on bus corridor - Jul 23, 2012
- Retain trial-run set-up on Delhi bus corridor: Court (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Government reply sought on plea over bus corridor - Jan 19, 2012
- Court wants government study on bus corridor - Mar 07, 2012
- 'Conduct fresh study on bus corridor' - Mar 15, 2012
- Bicycle ride creates climate awareness in New Delhi - Dec 05, 2010
- BRT needs better planning in India, say experts - Jul 25, 2009
- More research needed on bus rapid transit system: Experts - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad municipal corporation, august 15, bus rapid transit, bus system, buses, chaos, congestion, crux, cyclists, fiasco, half a dozen, member panel, municipal commissioner, New Delhi, road space, shivanand, snag, system planners, thara, two wheelers