Delhi residents oppose power tariff hike (Lead)June 28th, 2011 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 28 (IANS) Resident welfare associations (RWA) in Delhi Tuesday pledged to oppose any hike in power tariff and demanded audits to weed out faulty meters.
The Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) should not hike the power tariff at the behest of private distribution companies, a statement from the RWAs said.
The Delhi High Court May 23 gave the go-ahead to the DERC to fix the power tariff for 2010-11, lifting curbs imposed on the process by the Delhi government.
The RWAs also slammed what they said were faulty power meters.
“The electronic meters installed are faulty. They hinder proper delivery of power as well as end up generating inflated bills,” said Rajiv Kakria, chairman of the RWA of south Delhi’s Greater Kailash-1.
“This needs to be investigated by an independent technical institute of repute like the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT),” he added.
Anil Sood of NGO Chetan supported the RWAs and said that though power tariffs have not been raised in the past five years, residents were paying 25-40 percent more than necessary.
“Experts have informed us that this is due to faulty meters,” said Sood.
“Excess billing should be refunded to consumers and hefty penalty be imposed on the culprits. A similar audit of street lights should also be conducted,” said Anil Bajpai of the Gandhi Nagar RWA in east Delhi.
- Delhi resident's groups vow to oppose power tariff hike - Jun 28, 2011
- Poor accountability cost Congress Delhi civic polls: RWAs - Apr 18, 2012
- Delhi homes hit by 20 percent power rate hike - Jun 26, 2012
- Consumers cry foul over power tariff hike in Delhi - Jul 05, 2012
- Vote for clean candidate, not on party line: Delhi RWAs appeal - Apr 14, 2012
- Delhi's power tariff hike comes into effect - Jul 01, 2012
- Protest against power tariff hike Oct 2 - Oct 01, 2011
- 'CAG to audit accounts of Delhi discoms' - Mar 12, 2012
- Delhi agrees to CAG audit of power companies - Sep 14, 2011
- Sheila Dikshit calls power tariff hike 'inevitable' - Jul 02, 2012
- Power tariff hike inevitable: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Court questions Delhi power firms on audit of accounts (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Pay more for more power in Noida and Ghaziabad - Jun 19, 2012
- Your power bill goes up as tariff hiked in Delhi - Aug 26, 2011
- Court tells Delhi power regulator to notify tariff hike - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: chetan, delhi electricity regulatory commission, delhi government, delhi high court, delhi residents, derc, distribution companies, east delhi, electricity regulatory commission, electronic meters, gandhi nagar, indian institute of technology, necessary experts, power meters, power tariff hike, private distribution, proper delivery, rwas, sood, south delhi