Delhi orders probe into tax challan forgeryMay 26th, 2009 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) Delhi government’s Finance Minister A.K. Walia Tuesday ordered an inquiry into an alleged forgery in submission of value-added tax (VAT) challans in the national capital.
The order was issued after a delegation of VAT-registered traders met Walia to apprise him of the forgery.
“They (traders) reported that there has been overwriting in amount deposited as per challan and it has also been observed that receipt stamp supposed to be affixed by the banks was fake,” an official statement said.
“The preliminary examination has revealed that the amount deposited through the challans has not been credited in the account of the VAT department,” it added.
Walia directed the principal secretary (finance) and commissioner of trade and taxes to examine the matter. He also asked the tax department to investigate the matter to find out if any nexus exists that may have caused loss to the exchequer.
The delegation also told Walia that they face non-cooperation from employees of the department, which makes things difficult for the traders.
- SC offers relief to Maharashtra property buyers - Aug 28, 2012
- Chinese provinces mull tax reform - Jun 11, 2012
- Maharashtra to recover VAT arrears on property deals - Aug 23, 2012
- Wipro deposits Rs.240 mn in tax case on court order (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Levy on unbranded jewellery to be withdrawn: Pranab (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Panel formed to protest VAT in Maharashtra - Aug 27, 2012
- Tax on gold amounts to taxing culture: Congress MP - Apr 04, 2012
- Delhi's VAT Department told to improve image - May 21, 2009
- Fuel traders threaten indefinite strike over diesel VAT (Lead) - Apr 09, 2010
- New tax on domestic LPG in Maharashtra rolled back - Mar 30, 2012
- Jharkhand withdraws tax on blankets - Mar 15, 2011
- Now, pay income tax through Union Bank ATMs - Mar 31, 2011
- Single window system for VAT refunds for Delhi exporters - Aug 12, 2010
- Kingfisher Airlines owes Rs.132.78 crore in TDS dues - Dec 20, 2011
- Liquor and cigarettes prices raised on public demand: Dhumal - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: banks, challans, cooperation, delegation, delhi government, finance minister, forgery, New Delhi, nexus, preliminary examination, principal secretary, receipt, secretary finance, submission, value added tax, walia