Delhi, neighbours to get less rain than rest of IndiaJune 24th, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) Rain gods don’t seem to be smiling on the national capital this monsoon as Delhi is likely to receive much less rainfall than the national average, a forecast released by the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said Wednesday.
“Current observations and forecasts suggest that monsoon will advance over most parts of the country except northwest India by June end. In northwest India, the monsoon will onset in the first week of July,” Minister of State for Science and Technology Prithviraj Chavan, who released the data here, said.
The northwest India covers Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi, Uttrakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
Chavan said the northwest India will receive 81 percent of the average rainfall, which is far below the national average of 93 percent.
“The southwest monsoon rainfall in the country will likely be below normal between June to September,” Chavan told reporters here.
Describing the percentage of rainfall in the monsoon season, he said the country received 18 percent rainfall in June, 33 percent in July, 29 percent in August and 20 percent in September.
“Rainfall for the country in the month of June is 48.8 mm against a normal of 101.7 mm with a deficiency of 52 percent. In northwest India, it was 21 mm almost 48 percent deficient,” he said.
- Monsoon likely to be normal (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Less rains likely in August-September: IMD - Aug 02, 2012
- Weak monsoon predicted in Delhi, neighbourhood: IMD - Jul 07, 2009
- India's monsoon likely to be normal: Deshmukh (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- India to have normal monsoon this year: Bansal - Apr 19, 2011
- 14 percent rainfall deficit in July - Aug 25, 2011
- India monsoon likely to be normal (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Deficit rainfall in east hits rice cultivation: IMD - Aug 27, 2010
- Monsoon likely to be below normal - Jun 21, 2011
- Monsoon yet likely to improve, says IMD - Jul 26, 2012
- India's monsoon likely to be normal: Deshmukh - Apr 26, 2012
- Monsoon reaches Andaman Islands - May 17, 2010
- Below normal monsoon likely this year (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Monsoon still playing hide-and-seek - Jun 30, 2012
- Normal monsoon may cool high inflation - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: average rainfall, chandigarh, chavan, current observations, himachal pradesh, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, kashmir, minister of state, monsoon rainfall, monsoon season, month of june, neighbours, northwest india, prithviraj, rain gods, rajasthan, science and technology, southwest monsoon, uttar pradesh