Delhi Metro’s airport line likely to open next week: OfficialJanuary 7th, 2011 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) Delhi Metro’s high-speed Airport Express Line underwent a second safety check Friday and the corridor is expected to begin operations by next week, said an official of Reliance Infrastructure, which has built the network.”The commissioner in charge of Metro rail safety has started a two-day inspection of the corridor. We hope we get the safety clearance certificate tomorrow. Once it is obtained, we will need less than a week to open the line for public,” the official said Friday.
“In all probability, the line should start next week.”
The 23-km link will connect the central shopping district of Connaught Place with the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport. It promises to take commuters from New Delhi Railway Station to the airport in 18 minutes.
The line has six stations — New Delhi Railway Station, Shivaji Stadium, Dhaula Kuan, Delhi Aero City, Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport and Dwarka Sec-21. The idea was also for setting up check-in facilities of airlines at the Metro stations.
The Reliance official said an Air India team recently conducted a technical inspection at the stations and was happy with the facilities. The flag carrier is likely to sign an agreement to set up its check-in counters soon, the official added.
“Air India has already given us a verbal assurance. We are also negotiating with other airlines for their check-in counters.”
- Delhi Metro's airport line gets safety clearance - Jan 10, 2011
- Delhi Metro's airport line gets safety clearance, to begin soon (Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
- 15,000 people daily travel on airport Metro - Sep 11, 2011
- Airport Metro's two new stations open Monday - Aug 15, 2011
- Airport Metro line services suspended from Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
- Efforts on to start Metro's Airport Express Line before Games - Sep 28, 2010
- Delhi Metro airport line to open by March (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Airlines to begin check-in on Airport Metro from Friday - Jun 09, 2011
- Airlines to begin check-in on Airport Metro from Friday (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Metro starts check-in for international flyers - Feb 23, 2012
- Metro to start international flight check-ins - Feb 21, 2012
- Shorter airport metro services likely to resume (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- From railway station to airport in 20 minutes! - Feb 22, 2011
- Domestic flights' check-in opens on Airport Metro line - Jun 10, 2011
- Airport Metro increases frequency during peak hours - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: air india, airport express, clearance certificate, commuters, connaught place, delhi metro, dhaula kuan, dwarka, flag carrier, india team, indira gandhi, jan 7, metro rail, metro stations, rail safety, railway station, safety check, safety clearance, shivaji, shopping district