Delhi Metro’s airport line likely to begin in 15 daysDecember 24th, 2010 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 24 (IANS) The much-awaited Airport Express Line of Delhi Metro is likely to be operational in the next 15 days, its managing director E. Sreedharan said Friday.He said the work on the 22-km Airport Express line was complete and operations could begin in 24 hours. But the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) was waiting for the safety clearance certificate from the Commissioner of Metro Railway Safety (CMRS).
The Metro corridor connects the city’s shopping hub Connaught Place with the international airport.
“There is no problem on the Airport Express line, we are waiting for the CMRS to inspect the line. He (CMRS R.K. Kardam) was on long leave and now he has come back. If he gives the green signal, the line will be operational,” Sreedharan told reporters in an informal interaction on the eighth anniversary of DMRC’s operations.
He said that the trial runs on the Airport Express Line have been successful and he is satisfied with the work.
“I am happy with the AEL corridor, I took a ride on the train which runs at a speed of 120 km per hour,” he said.
Asked about the airlines’ reluctance to set up check-in counters at the Metro stations, Sreedharan said Air India has assured to set up counters and “if Air India comes, we hope other airlines would follow”.
He said: “Along with AEL, a small stretch between Sarita Vihar and Badarpur which is yet to be operational will also be opened in the next 10-15 days.”
Both the lines missed the Commonwealth Games deadline and the AEL corridor failed a safety test in September.
- Delhi Metro's airport line gets safety clearance, to begin soon (Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
- Delhi Metro's airport line gets safety clearance - Jan 10, 2011
- Efforts on to start Metro's Airport Express Line before Games - Sep 28, 2010
- Metro's airport line likely to open next week: Sreedharan - Jan 18, 2011
- Domestic flights' check-in opens on Airport Metro line - Jun 10, 2011
- Delhi Metro airport line to open by March (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Metro reaches Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium Sunday - Oct 02, 2010
- Delhi Metro's airport line likely to open next week: Official - Jan 07, 2011
- Now, Metro from Central Secretariat to Sarita Vihar too - Oct 03, 2010
- Metro to Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium rolls out today - Oct 03, 2010
- Sreedharan inspects metro extension to Ghaziabad - Jun 16, 2011
- New Metro line opening likely to be delayed - Sep 30, 2010
- Sreedharan inspects proposed Faridabad Metro corridor - Apr 29, 2011
- Shorter airport metro services likely to resume (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Airport Metro line services suspended from Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
Tags: air india, airport express, clearance certificate, commonwealth games, connaught place, dec 24, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, e sreedharan, eighth anniversary, informal interaction, managing director, metro railway, metro stations, railway safety, reluctance, ride on the train, safety clearance, safety test