Delhi Metro wants authorities’ help against stone-peltingMay 5th, 2009 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Delhi Metro has sought help from authorities as people from slums have been throwing stones on the tracks and at the trains, often damaging and disrupting services.
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) managing director E. Sreedharan Tuesday wrote to the lieutenant governor of Delhi and the Delhi Police commissioner on this issue which had “begun to affect Metro passengers and operations seriously”, a DMRC statement said.
“Stone throwing from Shastri Park to Seelampur and Shahdara on the Line-I (Dilshad Garden-Rithala) has often resulted in damaging Metro doors, windshields and glasses,” said a DMRC official said.
The last straw was when Metro services were disrupted Monday evening on Line-I due to stone pelting.
“The stone throwing from these areas on to the trains damaged a power transformer causing electric short-circuit during the rains yesterday at 6.50 p.m. Power supply was disrupted for two hours between Shastri Park and Seelampur as a result of the stone pelting,” the statement said.
At least five such incidents have already occurred this year, damaging Metro trains and complaints have been lodged on all occasions with Delhi Police.
- Metro hikes parking fees from Sep 8 - Sep 01, 2011
- Delhi Metro project to get extended to Ghaziabad - Apr 07, 2012
- Delhi Metro inducts six-coach trains (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- 12 more trains for Delhi Metro before Games - Jul 27, 2010
- Metro stations to have digital pods for information - Jan 30, 2011
- Metro services to close three hours before time on Diwali day - Nov 03, 2010
- Kirti Nagar-Ashok Park Metro trial run started - Jul 14, 2011
- Catch the last Metro ride at 8 p.m. on Diwali - Nov 03, 2010
- Delhi Metro inducts six-coach trains (Third Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Metro services to close at 8 p.m. today - Nov 05, 2010
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Metro collects over Rs.70,000 in fines from men in women's coaches - Feb 25, 2012
- Metro service to end at 8 p.m. Diwali (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Metro Man rides into sunset, to pass baton to Mangu Singh (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: all occasions, authorities, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, delhi police, e sreedharan, last straw, lieutenant governor, m power, managing director, metro services, metro trains, New Delhi, police commissioner, power supply, power transformer, short circuit, slums, throwing stones, windshields