Delhi Metro volunteers check indisciplined commutersJune 3rd, 2009 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) Nearly 50 volunteers of the Delhi Metro Citizens’ Forum Wednesday went on a special drive on Metro trains and stations to check indisciplined commuters.
“About 50 volunteers are on a special drive to check indiscipline inside the Metro trains and stations dividing themselves into two groups who travelled on the Dwarka Sector 9 to Yamuna Bank and Dilshad Garden to Rithala routes,” Delhi Metro Rail Corporation spokesperson Anuj Dayal said.
According to Dayal, the volunteers helped women and senior citizens get seats and counselled the commuters to vacate seats reserved for women, senior citizens and the physically challenged.
“They also requested the commuters not to play loud music inside the trains which is prohibited and helped them to queue up at the busy Rajiv Chowk Metro station apart from asking them to keep the Metro premises clean,” Dayal said.
On an average, around 800,000 commuters travel by Delhi Metro everyday.
Dayal said that in the wake of increasing ridership and the scheduled opening of many new corridors in the coming year, such cooperation from the commuters had become very important.
The citizens forum started in January with about 130 volunteers. At present, there are around 250 volunteers and the number is likely to increase to 500 as there are plenty of applicants still, he said.
Metro commuters interested in joining the forum can apply online by mailing email@example.com or can contact station managers for details.
- Metro, airport line to open at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Catch the last Metro ride at 8 p.m. on Diwali - Nov 03, 2010
- No Metro service on Holi morning (Lead) - Feb 25, 2010
- Metro services to be curtailed on Holi - Feb 25, 2010
- Metro collects over Rs.70,000 in fines from men in women's coaches - Feb 25, 2012
- Metro service to end at 8 p.m. Diwali (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Delhi Metro to curtail services on Diwali - Oct 24, 2011
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh - Aug 02, 2012
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Delhi Metro sets new record with 1.1 million passengers - Apr 22, 2010
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Auto strike sees Metro crowded, commuters lose cool (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- New Metro link to connect three corridors - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: chowk, citizens forum, commuters, corridors, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, june 3, loud music, metro station, metro trains, metro volunteers, New Delhi, premises, rajiv, ridership, sector 9, senior citizens, spokesperson, station managers, yamuna