Delhi Metro to induct eight-coach trains to ease rushJuly 15th, 2012 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) To deal with the problem of over crowding, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) will introduce trains with eight coaches by the end of this year. Mandatory tests and trial runs have already begun, an official said.
“We have begun extensive tests and trial runs of the eight-coach trains at the Khyberpass Metro depot. We expect to introduce them by the end of this year,” a DMRC official said here Sunday.
The eight-coach trains would accommodate 2,400 commuters and make the ride comfortable as compared to the present four- and six-coach trains, which have carrying capacities of 1,500 and 2,100, respectively, during a single trip.
Initially, the additional coaches will be plied on Line 2 (Jahangirpuri-HUDA City Centre), Line 3 (Dwarka-Noida City Centre) and Line 4 (from Yamuna Bank to Vaishali), which register a footfall of over 13 lakh a day.
“Several rounds of testing on signalling, safety, speed pick-up, jerking and breaking are being carried out by engineers. These tests are expected to continue for another 15-20 days,” the official said.
The DMRC has already placed an order for 212 new coaches.
“The new coaches will be delivered by September, after which the integration and commissioning process will begin which involves many technicalities,” the official added.
“We plan to convert 37 six-coach trains into eight-coach ones on Line 2 (Jahangirpuri-HUDA City Centre), 31 trains on Line 3 (Dwarka-Noida City Centre) and Line 4 (from Yamuna Bank to Vaishali),” the official said.
The Delhi Metro normally makes over 2,700 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on week days.
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro inducts six-coach trains (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Delhi Metro to induct eight coach trains in two years - Aug 08, 2011
- Six-coach trial run on Delhi-Gurgaon Metro line - Feb 06, 2011
- Delhi Metro inducts six-coach trains (Third Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Delhi metro inducts six-coach trains to ease rush (lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh - Aug 02, 2012
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Metro to introduce six-coach trains by December - Nov 26, 2010
- Metro services to be curtailed on R-Day - Jan 23, 2012
- Two extra coaches to ease rush on Delhi Metro - Dec 05, 2010
- Metro, airport line to open at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro to curtail services on Diwali - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: coach, commissioning process, commuters, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, dwarka, footfall, khyberpass, line 3, mandatory tests, New Delhi, rush, safety speed, technicalities, trains on line, vaishali