Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridorsMay 2nd, 2012 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) Passengers on two Delhi Metro lines which connect the capital with the satellite towns of Noida and Gurgaon and which are seeing ever-increasing ridership can hope for a more comfortable journey by the end of 2013 with the induction of eight-coach trains.
“By the end of 2013, over half of the trains on Line 2 (Jahangirpuri-HUDA City Centre) and Line 3 (Dwarka-Noida City Centre) will be of eight coaches,” Delhi Metro chief Mangu Singh told reporters Wednesday, adding that the remaining six-car trains would be converted by 2015.
Singh Delhi Metro has placed orders for procuring additional coaches.
Sixty rakes operate on the Dwarka-Noida City Centre line and 71 on the Jahangirpuri-HUDA City Centre line. About 13 lakh passengers travel on these lines every day.
Six-coach trains have a capacity of 1,800-2,100 passengers per trip. With the introduction of eight-coach trains, the capacity would will go up to 2,400.
“With the procurement of more train cars, by June 2015, all trains plying on Line 2 and Line 3 will be of eight coaches and Line 1 (Dilshad Garden to Rithala) will be of six coaches,” Singh added.
Apart from inducting more coaches, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has also floated tenders for procuring 300 feeder buses to increase the connectivity between Metro stations and the interior areas of the city.
The induction of these buses would take at least six months, Singh said.
He also said that DMRC is reviewing its operational expenses and as of now, there would be no fare hike.
Delhi Metro makes over 2,400 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 18 lakh passengers on working days.
- Delhi Metro to induct eight-coach trains to ease rush - Jul 15, 2012
- Delhi Metro to induct eight coach trains in two years - Aug 08, 2011
- Delhi Metro inducts six-coach trains (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Six-coach trial run on Delhi-Gurgaon Metro line - Feb 06, 2011
- Delhi Metro inducts six-coach trains (Third Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Delhi metro inducts six-coach trains to ease rush (lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh - Aug 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Metro collects over Rs.70,000 in fines from men in women's coaches - Feb 25, 2012
- Metro, airport line to open at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 06, 2012
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Metro to introduce six-coach trains by December - Nov 26, 2010
- Snag on Metro's Gurgaon line affects services, rectified (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Metro to introduce eight coach trains by June - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: car trains, day six, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, dwarka, fare hike, feeder buses, gurgaon, interior areas, mangu, metro chief, metro lines, metro stations, noida, operational expenses, ridership, satellite towns, train cars, trains on line