Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh (Second Lead)August 2nd, 2012 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 2 (IANS) Within 10 days of registering its highest ever ridership, Delhi Metro Thursday said it set a new record: nearly 22 lakh commuters.
The Metro trains carried 21,95,999 passengers Wednesday, surpassing the 21,26,763 figure of July 23, a Metro statement said.
The company had set a target of 20 lakh for December.
According to Delhi Metro, daily footfall has been rising in the last four months. From 17.33 lakh in April, it jumped to 19.07 lakh in July in the initial period before touching over 21 lakh.
The usually overcrowded Blue Line (Dwarka-Noida City Centre/Vaishali) recorded the maximum ridership of 847,022 followed by Yellow Line (Jahangirpuri-Huda City Centre) at 776,699 commuters Wednesday.
The Red Line (Rithala-Dilshad Garden) took over three lakh passengers.
Delhi Metro normally sees a huge rush on Raksha Bandhan.
Normally, 20 trains are withdrawn during non-peak hours — 12.30 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. But in view of the festival, these trains remain in service, said an official.
Delhi Metro operates over 2,700 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on week days.
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh - Aug 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro to induct eight-coach trains to ease rush - Jul 15, 2012
- Record ridership in Delhi Metro on Raskha Bandhan - Aug 13, 2011
- Delhi Metro inducts six-coach trains (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Delhi Metro inducts six-coach trains (Third Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Metro, airport line to open at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro's new stretch to open Saturday - Aug 26, 2011
- Delhi metro inducts six-coach trains to ease rush (lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- With roads flooded, Delhi Metro records highest ridership - Aug 26, 2010
- Delhi Metro to curtail services on Diwali - Oct 24, 2011
- Delhi Metro's new stretch opens - Aug 27, 2011
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Delhi Metro plans extra trips for Raksha Bandhan - Aug 01, 2012