Delhi Metro records highest ridership June 13June 17th, 2011 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) The Delhi Metro recorded its highest ever ridership June 13 when about 17 lakh people commuted during the day, an official said.
The figure of 16,93,488 surpassed the previous record of 16,66,569 set Feb 14, added the official.
“The steep increase could be linked to the summer season being at its peak so far and also the admission process in Delhi University that was under way,” a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) official said Friday.
“The Vishwavidyalaya Metro station recorded 52 percent increase in daily footfalls as 42,000 commuters used it in June compared to 27,55 last month,” he added.
The average ridership, which was around 15.5 lakh during weekdays till last month, has touched 16.5 lakh in June, said the DMRC official.
The DMRC also witnessed the second highest ridership figures June 14 when 16,73,801 people travelled by the Metro, he added.
The Delhi Metro is operational on six lines where more than 2,500 train trips are made each day covering over 69,000 km a day.
“The phase-III of the network is expected to cover about 108 km. By the time Delhi Metro network becomes 295 km by 2015, it will be one of the fastest expanding Metro networks in the world carrying about 40 lakh passengers,” the official added.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Delhi Metro sets new ridership record - Jul 05, 2011
- With rising ridership, Delhi Metro to have more gates - Jun 20, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Over 14 lakh used Delhi Metro daily during Games - Oct 15, 2010
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh - Aug 02, 2012
- Eight years on, Delhi Metro plans for Phase III (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Delhi Metro completes 100 months of operations - Apr 24, 2011
- Commuter indiscipline swells Delhi Metro coffers - Aug 26, 2011
- Delhi Metro's ridership crosses 16-lakh mark - Nov 16, 2010
- Delhi Metro gains from traffic jams, fewer buses - Sep 28, 2010
- Delhi Metro records highest ridership Monday - Jul 27, 2010
- Trade fair: Delhi Metro ridership zooms - Nov 22, 2010
- Budget 2012-13: Delhi Metro gets over Rs.2,200 crore - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: asian news, commuters, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, delhi university, dmrc, feb 14, footfalls, lakh, metro network, metro networks, metro records, metro station, phase iii, prv, ridership, rl, steep increase, train trips, weekdays