Delhi Metro plans extra trips for Raksha BandhanAugust 1st, 2012 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) The Delhi Metro will run 160 extra trips to avoid over-crowding Thursday in view of the Raksha Bandhan festival, an official said.
“The Metro will provide extra 160 trips and the trains will run at peak hour frequency from morning 8 a.m. to 8.30 p.m. Thursday,” a Delhi Metro official said.
Normally, about 20 trains are withdrawn from the lines during non-peak hours — 12.30 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. But in view of the festival rush, these trains will be kept in service for extra trips.
The Delhi Metro normally witnesses huge rush of commuters on Raksha Bandhan. The ridership increases by about one lakh on the festival day every year.
According to Delhi Metro, last year 17 lakh passengers travelled on the festival day.
Apart from additional train trips, extra manpower would be deployed at the customer facilitation and ticket counters on Raksha Bandhan day, the official said in a statement.
Delhi Metro operates over 2,700 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on week days.
Raksha Bandhan showcases the bond of love between brothers and sisters. Rakhi, a colourful string, is tied on the wrists of brothers’ right wrist by sisters who pray for their well-being and the brothers promise to take care of them.
- Extra metro trips on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 10, 2011
- Record ridership in Delhi Metro on Raskha Bandhan - Aug 13, 2011
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh - Aug 02, 2012
- Metro plans extra trips on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 22, 2010
- Extra Metro trips on Bhai Dooj - Oct 27, 2011
- Delhi Metro to curtail services on Diwali - Oct 24, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Raksha Bandhan with fervour - Aug 02, 2012
- Women to get free bus rides on Rakhi day - Aug 01, 2012
- Traffic jams: Police try to pacify commuters - Aug 14, 2011
- Metro crowded due to 'Dhan Teras' - Nov 03, 2010
- Extra metro trains for trade fair - Nov 17, 2011
- Delhi Metro gets fewer riders on Bhai Dooj (Lead, superseding previous story) - Nov 07, 2010
- Delhi celebrates brother-sister bond with Bhai Dooj - Oct 28, 2011
- Metro ridership rises as Team Anna begins fast - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: brothers and sisters, commuters, delhi metro, facilitation, lakh, love, manpower, New Delhi, peak hour, peak hours, raksha bandhan, ridership, rush, showcases, ticket counters, train trips, trains