Delhi metro orders more coachesApril 26th, 2009 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) With the metro increasingly becoming the choice of city’s commuters, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has ordered extra coaches to be attached to some existing trains to increase the passenger capacity, an official said Sunday.
Eight more coaches have been ordered by the DMRC to be added to four trains.
“They (trains) are running fully packed as over 850,000 passengers travel a day. To handle the rush, the new coaches will be added to four of the existing trains to make them into six-car trains,” DMRC spokesman Anuj Dayal said.
The metro plies 70 trains having four coaches each at present. Each additional coach can carry a maximum of 390 people - 50 sitting and 340 standing.
The coaches are being manufactured by Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) at their Bangalore factory. This is the first time an Indian company is independently making a metro coach, the official added.
“The first two coaches will be delivered by August 2009. With these eight coaches, it will be the first time that any Indian manufacturer will be making modern metro rail coaches entirely on their own without any collaboration with a foreign company,” Dayal said.
The DMRC can increase train lengths to eight coaches as a majority of the platforms are built for an eight-coach capacity.
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro to induct eight-coach trains to ease rush - Jul 15, 2012
- Metro to introduce eight coach trains by June - Jan 12, 2012
- Delhi Metro to induct eight coach trains in two years - Aug 08, 2011
- BEML to deliver first coach to Bangalore Metro in October - Jun 21, 2010
- Delhi Metro completes 100 months of operations - Apr 24, 2011
- Metro to alert passengers on approaching trains - Jan 30, 2012
- Two extra coaches to ease rush on Delhi Metro - Dec 05, 2010
- Delhi Metro instals equipment to handle cardiac arrests - Feb 23, 2012
- Delhi Metro completes eight years, plans more trains - Dec 24, 2010
- Girl commits suicide at Delhi metro station - Mar 25, 2012
- Delhi Metro bags national award in non-film category - Mar 07, 2012
- Fourth suicide at Delhi Metro premises in 6 days (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Book on Delhi Metro's success story - May 16, 2012
- Extra Metro trips on Bhai Dooj - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: car trains, coach, collaboration, commuters, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, earth movers, indian manufacturer, New Delhi, platforms, rail coaches, rush, spokesman, train lengths