Delhi Metro completes 100 months of operationsApril 24th, 2011 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), which is rapidly becoming the lifeline of the national capital, Sunday completed 100 months of operations, an official said.
“The Delhi Metro today (Sunday) completed 100 months of operations. The journey, which began in December 2002 with only 8.5 kilometres and six Metro stations now covers 183 kilometres and has 135 stations,” DMRC spokesperson Anuj Dayal said.
The mass rapid transit network began its operations Dec 24, 2002 when the then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee flagged off the first train.
“As the Metro reached its centenary month, the ridership has increased from 82,179 in 2002 to over 14 lakh till March 2011. It has crossed the boundaries of the national capital. The DMRC now covers even the National Capital Region (NCR) Noida and Gurgaon,” Dayal said.
There are 160 Metro trains which make about 2,400 trips per day covering about 70,000 kilometres and carry about 1.5 million passengers on week days.
The DMRC is further expanding its’s network with Phase-III, which will add about 108 kilometres more.
The network is targetting to complete 295 kilometres by 2015, making it one of the fastest expanding Metro networks in the world.
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Delhi Metro records highest ridership June 13 - Jun 17, 2011
- Metro, airport line to open at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 06, 2012
- Eight years on, Delhi Metro plans for Phase III (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Closing ceremony spectators preferred Metro for travel - Oct 15, 2010
- Top Delhi Metro official resigns - Apr 19, 2012
- Metro completes first tunnel of Phase III - Jul 26, 2012
- Delhi Metro bags national award in non-film category - Mar 07, 2012
- Metro Phase III will be built by 2016 - May 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro completes eight years, plans more trains - Dec 24, 2010
- Metro construction picks up; traffic snarls expected - Apr 21, 2012
- Delhi Metro now goes to Ghaziabad (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: april 24, dec 24, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, first train, gurgaon, kilometres, lakh, lifeline, mass rapid transit, metro networks, metro stations, metro trains, ncr, noida, phase iii, ridership, spokesperson, transit network