Delhi Metro airport line to open by MarchFebruary 5th, 2011 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 5 (IANS) The Delhi Metro’s airport express line, the first public-private partnership project, will be operational in a month’s time, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said Saturday.Dikshit took a ride on the 23-km link Saturday.
At a speed of 120 km per hour, it will take only 18 minutes to reach Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport from New Delhi Railway Station and another three minutes from the airport to Dwarka Sector 21.
“The airport express line is the first metro line in the country which comes right up to the airport. The line has been beautifully done and the formal opening will be done in a month’s time,” she told reporters after riding on the city centre-airport link.
Built at cost of Rs.5,700 crore, the line has six stations — New Delhi Railway Station, Shivaji Stadium, Dhaula Kuan, Delhi Aero City, Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport and Dwarka Sec-21.
Speaking about the third phase of Delhi Metro, the chief minister said: “The road map of third phase has been prepared. The group of ministers and Delhi Metro Managing Director E. Sreedharan are discussing it. The work will start soon.”
“There are no problems of funds for the third phase. It will be successfully completed and work for the fourth phase will start,” she said.
Expressing satisfaction over the airport line, Sreedharan said: “It is a beautiful and world class metro line. The trial runs will start within a week.”
The Metro chief also said that he will take up the matter of baggage checking with the civil aviation ministry and it will be sorted out soon.
- Delhi Metro airport line to open by March (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Shorter airport metro services likely to resume (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Airport Metro increases frequency during peak hours - Aug 05, 2011
- Airport Metro's two new stations open Monday - Aug 15, 2011
- Delhi Metro's airport line extends its radio cab service - Jan 07, 2012
- Delhi Airport Metro Express lines to open at 2 p.m. - Feb 23, 2011
- Multi-level car parking for Airport Metro commuters - Feb 06, 2012
- Airport Metro line services suspended from Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
- From railway station to airport in 20 minutes! - Feb 22, 2011
- Airport Metro open to filmmakers - Oct 19, 2011
- Airport Metro to run on Diwali - Oct 25, 2011
- Airport Metro offers discount this weekend - Dec 08, 2011
- Airport Metro offers discount on Guru Purab - Nov 09, 2011
- Airport Metro introduces new fare payment card - Aug 18, 2011
- Airport Metro to accept payment by card - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: airport express, chief minister, civil aviation ministry, delhi metro, dhaula kuan, dwarka, e sreedharan, fourth phase, indira gandhi, metro airport, metro chief, metro line, New Delhi, partnership project, public private partnership, railway station, road map, sheila dikshit, shivaji, three minutes