Delhi markets raided to check onion hoardingJanuary 10th, 2011 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 10 (IANS) Raids were conducted at different locations across Delhi, including the wholesale Azadpur Mandi, and its suburbs Monday as part of a nation-wide crackdown to counter the hoarding of onions in the wake of its rising prices.According to IT department officials, the premises of wholesale traders across Delhi and the National Capital Region were checked. Delhi’s Azadpur Mandi was one of the main locations to be raided.
However, there was no word of officials coming across any instances of onions being hoarded.
According to Rajan Sharma, general secretary of the Chamber of Azadpur Fruit and Vegetable Traders, the raids began at 9 a.m. He said that no trader was found to be stocking onions.
“Around 10 to 15 traders were raided here, but no one was found to be holding any stock,” Sharma told IANS.
Onion prices shot up across the country after crops in Nashik in Maharashtra were spoilt due to heavy rains. The authorities are now trying to nail any possible hoarding which may further aggravate prices.
The IT department had last week conducted similar survey operations in Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and few other states.
The wholesale price of onion is around Rs.40-47 per kg in wholesale and Rs.55-60 per kg in retail in the national capital.
- Peeved at raids, Delhi onion traders continue strike - Jan 12, 2011
- Onion traders in Delhi call off strike (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Onion traders call off strike, prices to dip in a week (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Delhi onion traders on strike from Wednesday - Jan 11, 2011
- Onions at Rs.5 per kg soon? Traders say so - Jan 13, 2011
- Onion traders call off strike after talks with Delhi Chief Minister - Jan 12, 2011
- Delhi onion traders to go on strike, government threatens action (Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
- Onion traders in Delhi go on indefinite strike against raids - Jan 12, 2011
- Fresh onion supply pulls down wholesale price in Delhi - Jan 17, 2011
- Delhi traders, consumers hoping for stable onion prices - Jan 13, 2011
- Onions now at Rs.37.5/kg after raids on hoarders: Minister - Dec 22, 2010
- Onion prices decline following raids on godowns in UP - Jan 08, 2011
- Nasik onion traders on strike, prices drop in Maharashtra - Jan 10, 2011
- Tomatoes join high-priced onions, more supplies come from Pakistan (Intro Roundup) - Dec 24, 2010
- Nafed monitoring markets to check onion prices - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: crackdown, crops, department officials, fruit and vegetable, general secretary, heavy rains, instances, kg, mandi, nashik, New Delhi, onion prices, onions, premises, rs 40, stocking, survey operations, wholesale, wholesale price, wholesale traders