Defence units with Rs.7,000 crore investment coming up in AndhraMarch 18th, 2012 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 18 (IANS) Nine defence projects involving an investment of Rs.7,000 crore ($1.3 billion) are coming up in Andhra Pradesh, Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy said Sunday.
He announced this during the foundation stone laying function for the surface-to-air missile project of Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) at Ibrahimpatnam in Ranga Reddy district, near here.
The BDL project, coming up at a cost of Rs.500 crore, is expected to be completed in four years and provide employment to 1,000 people directly and indirectly.
Minister of State for Defence Pallam Raju said the BDL’s turnover in four to five years would go up to $1 billion (Rs.5,000 crore).
The minister pointed out that the BDL has the entire missile research and development programme in the state. He said three missile development projects were coming up in Medak, Visakhapatnam and Ibrahimpatnam.
Pallam Raju said BDL had plans to undertake defence production of worth of Rs.34,000 crore in the state during the 12th and 13th Five Year Plans. He hoped that this would promote local ancillary industry, provide employment and would help in the regional development.
BDL Chairman and Managing Director Maj. Gen. (retd) Ravi Khetarpal said BDL, which was started with an investment of Rs.115 crore, had now become Rs.1,000 crore company.
The chief minister said three units each of BDL, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), two of Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL) and one of Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI) were coming up in the state. He said the works relating to land acquisition for these units were at different stages.
“If completed these units will provide direct employment to 10,000 people and indirect employment to another 25,000 people,” he said.
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile ready for test firing: Antony - Aug 27, 2010
- India takes first step towards ultra super-critical boilers - Jan 20, 2012
- Antony asks DPSUs to maintain transparency - Apr 12, 2012
- State-run ECIL made huge profit in CWG: CAG - Aug 06, 2011
- Agni-I missile test-fired off Orissa coast - Nov 25, 2010
- Three more Sainik Schools to come up, says minister - Jan 22, 2012
- Haryana gets Rs 4,700 crore industrial investment - Apr 23, 2012
- IT investment region to come up around Hyderabad - Sep 08, 2012
- Thales, BEL to form joint venture radar company (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- India's defence electronics sector to log good growth: experts - Jan 06, 2011
- PM to lay foundation stone for NTPC-BHEL project Wednesday - Aug 29, 2010
- BEL net dips 16 percent in 2011-12 - Apr 24, 2012
- Andhra inks MoUs for Rs.6.5 lakh crore investment (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Availability of affordable power critical for India's development: PM - Sep 01, 2010
- 'Huge potential for India-Italy defence industry cooperation' - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh chief, bdl, bharat electronics limited, chief minister, defence production, defence projects, defence units, ecil, electronics corporation, five year plans, foundation stone, india limited, indirect employment, kiran kumar, medak, missile development, missile research, surface to air, surface to air missile, visakhapatnam