Decision on wheat’s minimum support price next week: PawarOctober 24th, 2009 - 12:27 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Oct 23 (IANS) Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar Friday said the central government would decide on giving bonus to farmers on the minimum support price of paddy next week and will also announce the MSP for wheat for next year.
Pawar told media after his meetings with officials from Punjab and Haryana, the two states that contribute the maximum foodgrain to the country’s buffer stocks, that the MSP issue will come up at the next meeting of the central cabinet.
The minister said the state governments were demanding higher MSP for farmers due to steep hike in the rate of cultivation due to drought-like conditions and lesser-than-normal monsoon this year.
Punjab and Haryana have so far procured over 85 lakh tonnes of paddy during procurement that started earlier October.
Pawar said that there was enough buffer stock of foodgrain in the country and there was no cause of concern on this front.
- Hooda seeks Rs.100 a quintal paddy bonus - Oct 26, 2009
- Punjab seeks Rs.5,112 crore package for drought - Aug 10, 2012
- Haryana seeks Rs.4,050 crore from centre for drought relief - Aug 10, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- Elusive monsoon: Punjab seeks Rs.800 crore from centre - Jul 22, 2012
- Working group finds MSP calculation flawed, unscientific - Aug 31, 2010
- Centre's bonus on wheat unjustified: Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- Some subsidy may be restored to tackle drought: Minister - Jul 27, 2012
- Stored wheat rots in Punjab as another bumper crop waits - Mar 25, 2010
- Monsoon situation not serious, rain will pick up: Pawar (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Monsoon delayed but situation not worrisome: Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Hooda seeks Rs.200 bonus on paddy - Oct 06, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana stare at foodgrain wastage again, seek help - Jul 22, 2011
- Where to stock bumper harvest? Punjab, Haryana in quandary - May 17, 2012
- Foodgrain pile up scare in Punjab - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, bonus, buffer stock, central government, chandigarh, drought, farmers, minimum support price, monsoon, msp, procurement, punjab, sharad pawar, state governments, steep hike, stocks, tonnes, two states, wheat