Decision on 12 Goa SEZs June 4May 1st, 2008 - 8:12 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) The central government will take a decision next month on the 12 approved special economic zones (SEZs) of Goa as the state is up in arms against them. “We will call them (developers) for a hearing at the next meeting June 4 and then will take a decision on those 12 SEZs,” G.K. Pillai, Secretary of the ministry of commerce and industry, told reporters here.
“The Board of Approvals - BOA - (for SEZ) has already issued show-cause notices (to the developers),” Pillai added.
So far, three SEZs in Goa have been notified by the government - the Mumbai-based real estate major Raheja’s IT SEZ, pharmaceutical major Cipla’s project, and Peninsula Pharma’s biotech SEZ.
Beside these, four SEZ projects have been formally approved and eight others are in the pipeline.
“It’s not possible to cancel the three SEZs. It is a matter which the state government will have to decide… The BOA has requested the state government to have a discussion with the developers and come to an amicable decision,” he said.
On Dec 31, 2007 Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat announced the scrapping of all the approved and upcoming SEZ projects following widespread protests in the state.
- Goa minister goes against own government, supports SEZs - Nov 09, 2009
- SEZs would have doubled Goa's population: Minister - Jul 24, 2012
- Fear of litigation halts SEZ de-notification: Goa chief minister - Nov 20, 2009
- SEZ promoters in Goa want over Rs.1,500 crore compensation - Aug 23, 2010
- Goa SEZ scam: Kamat still to read court order - Dec 08, 2010
- Government to meet Goa's SEZ developers - Feb 25, 2008
- Goa government withdraws SEZ policy - Jun 15, 2009
- Goa move to scrap SEZs awaits central government's nod - Dec 09, 2008
- Seven SEZ projects approved - Apr 09, 2010
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
- Congress chief ministers part of Goa land scam: Parrikar - Dec 01, 2010
- Goa Church criticises Kamat's land use policy - Dec 15, 2011
- SEZ land to be now used for industries: Kamat - Mar 25, 2010
- Goa chief minister to meet Kamal Nath on SEZ issue - Jan 05, 2009
- 'Smaller SEZs could have worked for Goa' - Dec 18, 2010