De Beers to reduce diamond productionJuly 21st, 2012 - 1:25 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 21 (IANS) South African diamond mining major De Beers will produce 28-30 million carats of rough diamond in 2012, lower than last year’s production of 31.3 million carats, a senior company official said.
“We expect to produce around 28-30 million carats (of diamonds) this year. Last year it was higher. We have reduced the production due to lesser demand,” Stephen Lussier, executive director of De Beers and the CEO of the company’s Forevermark brand, said here late Friday.
In 2011, De Beers produced 31.3 million carats of diamonds - down from 33 million carats produced in 2010.
In the first half of 2012, the company produced 13.4 million carats of diamonds - down from 15.5 million carats produced during the corresponding period of 2011.
“The demand for diamonds during the first half of 2011 was strong while in the second half it was flat,” Lussier said.
According to the Forevermark chief executive officer, the global financial crisis of 2008 and 2009 forced consumers to buy less in Europe and Japan and De Beers had even closed some mines.
Subsequently, the demand grew by 10 percent from China, India and the US and in 2011 the diamond prices went up by 30 percent.
He said globally the demand growth is around 3-4 percent.
On industrial diamonds, he said De Beers earned around 5-6 percent of its revenue from the segment but it was the consumer segment that was more profitable.
- India to share 10 percent of Forevermark global sales - Jul 21, 2012
- De Beers to expand Forever brand in India - Sep 27, 2011
- Botswana world's top diamond producer in 2010 - Aug 04, 2011
- Botswana diamond exports triple - Apr 12, 2012
- Diamond supply is running out, says De Beers - Apr 26, 2010
- Rare Golconda diamonds on sale at Christie's - Apr 02, 2011
- China world's largest beer consumer - Aug 09, 2012
- De Beers To Cut Production Of Diamonds - Apr 27, 2010
- Remittances to Honduras increases - Jul 17, 2012
- High prices behind weak demand for diamonds this V-Day - Feb 13, 2012
- 507-carat diamond found in South Africa - Sep 29, 2009
- Massive diamond unearthed from Lesotho mine - Sep 09, 2010
- De Beers Cuts Diamond Production Due To Declining Supply - Apr 27, 2010
- Large diamond found in Siberia - Apr 21, 2011
- Cobra Beer to invest four million pounds in advertising - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: 30 million, 5 million, african diamond, carats, ceo, chief executive officer, consumer segment, consumers, de beers, diamond mining, diamond prices, diamond production, executive director, forevermark, global financial crisis, India, industrial diamonds, lussier, rough diamond, second half