Date for receiving telecom industry’s views on lock-in period extendedJanuary 21st, 2009 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 21 (IANS) The telecom regulator Wednesday extended the last date for receiving the industry’s views on the proposed lock-in period on equity sale in new licence holding companies to Jan 27.On Jan 9, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) had sought the industry’s views on the lock-in period by Jan 20.
According to telecom officials, this move is aimed at preventing operators from making windfall gains.
Last November, the Telecom Commission, the apex decision-making body of the Department of Telecom (DoT), had approved a three-year lock-in, following which the department had referred the issue to the TRAI.
The lock-in provision would be applied only in case of promoters’ equity sale and would not affect strategic investments, the telecom commission noted.
The lock-in clause was introduced by the DoT after Communications Minister A. Raja faced criticism from many quarters regarding the decision to award pan-India telecom licences for Rs.16.51 billion (Rs.1,651 crore), a price that was fixed in 2001.
The ministry’s decision had resulted in losses to the tune of over Rs.500 billion (Rs.50,000 crore) to the exchequer, critics said.
The DoT had awarded licences to nine new companies including Swan and Unitech. After getting licences, Swan offloaded a 45 percent stake to the UAE’s Etisalat for $900 million while Unitech divested up to 60 percent stake to Norway’s Telenor for $1.1 billion.
- Only fresh equity, not spectrum, sold by phone firms: Chidambaram - Jul 25, 2011
- Opposition using Raja comment to tarnish government: Sibal - Jul 25, 2011
- Ahluwalia defends Swan, Unitech on stake sale after spectrum allocation - Jan 16, 2011
- Raja pulls PM, Chidambaram into 2G scam (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- Raja drags PM, Chidambaram into 2G scam (Intro Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- Chidambaram's alleged complicity in 2G scam to be decided Saturday - Feb 03, 2012
- PM deflects blame in 2G scam, says Raja promised transparency (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2011
- Telenor confident of roping in new partner before auction - May 31, 2012
- 2G transactions known to PM, Chidambaram: Raja (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Airwaves Raja drags PM again, wants Chidambaram in witness box - Jul 26, 2011
- Was told telcos sold stake to finance roll-out: PM - Feb 16, 2011
- 2G: Swamy deposes against Chidambaram (Second Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Operative parts of apex court's 2G judgment - Feb 02, 2012
- Foreign telecom firms want government to clarify stand (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Unitech managing director being questioned - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: etisalat, india telecom, jan 21, last date, last november, promoters, rs 1, rs 50, rs 500, strategic investments, telecom commission, telecom industry, telecom officials, telecom regulator, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telenor, trai, unitech, windfall gains