Dasara festivities in Karnataka amid high pricesOctober 5th, 2011 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Oct 5 (IANS) Millions across Karnataka Wednesday celebrated ‘Ayudha Pooja’ (literally worship of tools), a day before Dasara, with fervour even though the high cost of flowers, fruits and vegetables pinched their pockets.
People grumbled that prices had gone through the roof this time compared to last year with jasmine flowers commanding around Rs.600 a kg, chrysanthemum over Rs.200 and marigold about Rs.100.
Prices of most of the vegetables ruled at over Rs.20 a kg from last year’s prices. Fruits were also costly with a kg of apple costing Rs.90-Rs.160, banana over Rs.40 a kg and orange around Rs.50 a kg.
“We cut down on the quantity of flowers, fruits and vegetables to manage the day,” said S. Uma, a housewife for whose family of four ‘Ayudha Pooja’ is a major festival.
“I think prices this Dasara are around 25 percent more than last year,” she said.
On the ‘Ayudha Pooja’ day, the ninth day of the Navaratri festival, various tools, including vehicles, are cleaned and worshipped. Houses are decorated with strings of fresh mango leaves.
- Maharashtra celebrates Gudi Padwa - Mar 23, 2012
- Mysore Dasara begins, promises pomp, pageantry - Sep 28, 2011
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- Royal treat for mango lovers at Delhi fest - Jul 02, 2011
- Harvest festival adds to World Cup joy in Maharashtra - Apr 04, 2011
- Drought, price rise shadow Karnataka's festival season (Karnataka Newsletter) - Jul 21, 2012
- Farmers in Rajasthan reap it rich from floriculture - Feb 14, 2010
- Colourful Sankranti celebrations in Andhra - Jan 15, 2012
- CWG nips Himachal florists' fortunes in bud - Oct 23, 2010
- South India heralds New Year, north ushers Navratri (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
- Ludhiana plays host to two-day Chrysanthemum exhibition - Dec 04, 2010
- Dasara ends in Karnataka with famed 'Jumboo Savari' - Oct 06, 2011
- Amid rising prices, cheerless harvest festival in Karnataka (Letter from Bangalore) - Jan 13, 2011
- Hyderabad Ganesh festival begins amid tight security - Sep 01, 2011
- Himachal wants to start lilium cultivation - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: ayudha pooja, banana, chrysanthemum, dasara, festivities, fruits and vegetables, housewife, jasmine flowers, karnataka, mango, marigold, navaratri festival, ninth day, oct 5, pockets, rs 200, rs 40, rs 50, rs 90, worshipped