Damaged rail lines halt iron ore movement in ChhattisgarhApril 20th, 2010 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 20 (IANS) Transport of iron ore on a key rail route in Chhattisgarh remained disrupted for the second day Tuesday after suspected Maoists damaged a portion of the tracks in insurgency-hit Bastar district, a railway official said.
“The train movement on Kirandul-Kottavalasa (K-K line) under Waltair Division of the East Coast Railway (ECR) was suspended after 17 wagons of a goods train derailed with three engines at around 1.30 a.m. Monday,” H.L Luwang, senior divisional commercial manager of the ECR, told IANS.
He said work is underway to repair the damaged tracks and pull out derailed wagons, but it would take at least another 24 hours to restore the traffic.
The goods train that was carrying some 4,000 tonnes of iron ore mined by the National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) was derailed near Dilimili railway station, some 330 km south of capital Raipur.
P. Sundarraj, superintendent of police, Bastar, said: “it’s not confirmed who removed clips from rail tracks that led to derailment but it seems to be an act of Maoists”.
S.P. Himanshu, assistant general manager, NMDC, said daily dispatches of around 56,000 tonnes iron ore by the company from Kirandul and Bacheli mines had been halted since Monday.
- Iron ore supply hit as Maoists damage rail track (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Iron ore supply disrupted as Maoists damage rail tracks - Apr 19, 2010
- Railways urge Chhattisgarh police to protect tracks, trains - May 05, 2010
- Railways suffer loss in Chhattisgarh as protest continues - Jan 20, 2012
- Iron-ore laden coaches derail in Chhattisgarh - May 21, 2012
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Anti-railway Bastar protests halt iron ore shipments - Jan 18, 2012
- Maoists' shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Jul 08, 2011
- NMDC resumes iron shipment from Chhattisgarh - Jan 23, 2012
- Anti-railway protest halts iron ore shipments (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Maoists damage rail tracks in Chhattisgarh - Dec 28, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Dec 06, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - May 22, 2011
- Maoists blast rail tracks in Chhattisgarh - Sep 27, 2011
- Maoists sabotage derails iron ore-laden train (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: chhattisgarh raipur, dispatches, east coast railway, ecr, himanshu, iron ore, k line, maoists, mineral development, nmdc, railway official, railway station, superintendent, tonnes, traffic, train movement, wagons