Daiichi Sankyo on ratings watch after Ranbaxy deal (Lead)June 12th, 2008 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) Japanese drug maker Daiichi Sankyo was Thursday placed on watch by global ratings agency Moody’s, a day after the company announced a $4.6-billion deal to buy majority stake in India’s largest pharmaceuticals company Ranbaxy Laboratories. Moody’s Investor Service said the transaction could meaningfully affect Daiichi Sankyo’s net cash position. At the same time, the agency said the deal would enhance its growth potential, especially in generics and emerging markets.
The review of Daiichi Sankyo’s Aa3 rating will focus on the potential impact of the merger on its competitiveness and business strategy. It will also re-address the company’s financial policy.
“Moody’s believes the possibility of a multi-notch downgrade to Daiichi Sankyo’s final rating is very limited because the company has ample liquidity to support the major part of the financing of the acquisition,” the agency said.
“Its strong cash flow from operations may also allow it to restore its financial profile once the acquisition has been completed.”
The mega deal - the largest in India’s $7.3 billion pharmaceutical industry - is estimated to value Ranbaxy at $8.9 billion and catapult the combined entity as the world’s 15th biggest drugs maker from the current 22nd position.
- Ranbaxy settles issue with US health regulator - Dec 21, 2011
- Moody's to review Daichii rating after Ranbaxy purchase, downgrade possible - Jun 12, 2008
- Foreign takeover of Indian drug-makers leaves ministry worried - Aug 04, 2011
- Competition check for FDI in pharma will help consumers: CUTS - Oct 11, 2011
- Ranbaxy, Russian region sign healthcare pact - Jan 31, 2011
- Daiichi eyes Ranbaxy for expanding in Africa, Latin America - Mar 12, 2010
- Foreign investment in pharma to face competition check - Oct 11, 2011
- Two French banks downgraded by Moody's - Sep 14, 2011
- Ranbaxy boosts presence in Africa with malaria drug - May 11, 2012
- Ranbaxy to launch anti-diabetic drug Actos by 2012 - Mar 15, 2010
- Fitch downgrades JPMorgan Chase after huge loss - May 12, 2012
- Moody's postpones decision on Italy's downgrade for a month - Sep 17, 2011
- Moody's downgrades Eurozone bailout fund credit outlook - Jul 25, 2012
- Germany calls for European rating agencies after S&P; downgrade - Jan 16, 2012
- Daiichi says Ranbaxy acquisition will hit its bottomline - Jan 05, 2009
Tags: aa3, acquisition, agency moody, business strategy, cash flow, cash position, competitiveness, daiichi sankyo, drugs, emerging markets, financial profile, investor service, liquidity, majority stake, merger, New Delhi, notch, pharmaceutical industry, pharmaceuticals company, ranbaxy