Cutty Sark launches blended malt scotch in Indian marketJuly 24th, 2008 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) The 250-million-pound ($499 million) global wine and spirits major Cutty Sark International has launched a premium scotch whisky brand - Cutty Sark blended malt scotch whisky - in the Indian market, a top company official said. Little more than a year back, the company had launched its flagship Cutty Sark blended scotch whisky, priced at around Rs.1,200 for a 750 millilitre bottle.
Now it has launched the Cutty Sark blended malt scotch whisky, a premium brand priced at around Rs.2,500 per bottle, Peter Davie, Cutty Sark commercial director, told IANS. Davie is responsible for implementing marketing strategy across global markets.
Explaining the difference between the two products, Davie said a blended scotch whisky is a blend of one or more single malt scotch whiskies with one or more single grain scotch whiskies.
The Cutty Sark blended scotch is made up of around 20 renowned single malt whiskies, predominantly from the Speyside region in Scotland, UK, which are blended with high quality grain whiskies.
“These single malt and single grain whiskies are matured in carefully selected American oak casks. The malts are blended together, as are the grains, before the complete blend is married together for a further six months,” Davie said.
The new product, Cutty Sark blended malt scotch whisky, is a blend of only single malt whiskies and has no grain whiskies in it, he said, adding that “it marries the finest single malt whiskies after they have been aged to perfection in oak casks”.
“The result is a fresh and floral aroma with hints of vanilla. It has a classic Speyside character on the palate and a clean dry finish,” Davie said.
Cutty Sark International is a joint venture between Berry Brothers and Rudd and the Edrington Group, known for its single malt whisky Famous Grouse.
The company owns the brands Cutty Sark Scotch Whisky and the Glenrothes Single Highland Speyside Malt Whisky, a brand that was recently named as the world’s fastest growing brand of premium malt whisky for the period 2003-2008 by global market monitor, International Wine and Spirit Record (IWSR).
Cutty Sark has tied up with Focus Brands, part of the $3-billion Jubilant Group for marketing its products in India.
“Our tagline for this product is “mark of real friendship’,” said Hrishi Besant, brand manager, Focus Brands.
The company is targeting the 25-35 year-old section of Indian whisky drinkers who wish to graduate from regular scotch whiskies to premium brands, Besant said.
“Our strategy is to enter into strategic partnerships to penetrate growth areas,” Davie said.
“With India emerging as the largest whisky market in the world, we had to look for a strategic partner here and Focus Brands with its great professionalism in marketing has proved to be a true partner,” he said.
- Indian trio in Scotland invent device to identify fake whisky - Nov 03, 2011
- For business, VAT 69 bottle gets new curves! - Nov 23, 2010
- Scotch makes 3.5 bn pounds in worldwide exports - Mar 31, 2011
- World's oldest malt whiskey on sale in UK - Mar 12, 2010
- Scotch whisky industry unaffected by recession - Jan 02, 2012
- Force India test-driver Resta to have his own 'Whyte and Mackay' label - Jul 08, 2010
- Spurious Scotch lands six in Goa jail - Oct 04, 2011
- Czechs make giant glass whisky bottle - Aug 18, 2012
- 'Johnnie Walker favourite with counterfeiters in Goa' - Aug 04, 2010
- Bethenny Frankel sells the 'Skinnygirl' brand - Mar 22, 2011
- Illicit liquor manufacturing unit unearthed, six held - Feb 05, 2011
- South Africa pushes its fruity presses in Indian wine mart (With Image) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sale of single malt whiskies surges in Delhi - Mar 22, 2012
- Haggis flavoured chocolates give Scotland's national dish the sweet treatment - Apr 12, 2010
- 100-year-old whisky to benefit Antarctic Heritage Trust - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: berry brothers and rudd, blended scotch whisky, cutty sark, cutty sark scotch, edrington group, floral aroma, global wine, grain whiskies, malt whiskies, millilitre, oak casks, peter davie, premium brand, quality grain, scotch whiskies, scotland uk, single malt scotch, single malt whisky, whisky brand, wine and spirits