`Cuba’s water treatment system needs to be fixed’July 21st, 2012 - 12:30 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, July 21 (IANS/EFE) Cuba’s aging, inadequate water treatment system needs to be fixed, state television quoted an official as saying.
National Hydraulic Resources Institute, or INRH president Ines Maria Chapman referred to the matter in a report to the national assembly.
“A lot of problems have piled up that need fixing”, including the deterioration from years of exploiting the water system without adequate maintenance and a culture of “wastefulness” in the use of water, she told lawmakers.
She also said that every year Cuba loses more than 1 billion cubic meters of water through leaks in the aging mains and connections inside the home, and compared that volume with the capacity of Zaza reservoir, the biggest on the island.
With regard to the water system’s infrastructure, Chapman said that the nation currently has 240 reservoirs and 805 micro-dams, 16 large pumping stations, 2,416 aqueducts and more than 22,500 km of pipelines.
Water supply covers 94.5 percent of the population of 11.2 million inhabitants on the island, she said.
She also said that the greatest water-supply problems exist in rural areas, where only 38.6 percent of the inhabitants are connected to the system.
Chapman said that 6 percent of Cubans must get their water from cistern trucks, mainly due to the effects of drought and damage to pumps.
- Cuba to enlarge farm programme to boost rice output - Dec 06, 2011
- Births continue to decline in Spain - Jan 19, 2012
- Cuba seeks to boost alternative energy production - Jun 11, 2012
- Cuba expands phone connections - Dec 28, 2011
- Cuba to invest $450 mn to boost rice production - May 12, 2012
- Drought reduces Mexico's agricultural production - Feb 14, 2012
- Downward revision of Spain's GDP data - Aug 28, 2012
- Cuba tourism revenues go up - Aug 10, 2011
- Spanish economy shrinks - Aug 29, 2012
- Cuba welcomed over 2.7 mn tourists in 2011 - Jan 22, 2012
- Cuba estimates 2011 oil, gas output at four mn tonnes - Dec 22, 2011
- Number of women in Cuban government posts increasing - Aug 24, 2012
- Almost half of Cuba's foreign visitors are Canadians - Apr 28, 2012
- Cuba to overhaul postal service - Nov 23, 2011
- Spain's poverty rates up - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,