Cuba welcomed over 2.7 mn tourists in 2011January 22nd, 2012 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Jan 22 (IANS/EFE) Cuba greeted more than 2.7 million tourists in 2011, a figure cited by official media and said to set a record for the sector, the island’s second biggest source of revenue in foreign currencies.
Cuba’s National Statistics Office, or ONE, said that 2,716,317 foreign visitors landed on the island last year.
The official AIN news agency Friday cited Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero as saying this week at a tourism fair in Madrid that the island closed 2011 with a 7.3 percent increase in foreign visitors over 2010.
The minister also said that several countries posted records for the number of their nationals who vacationed in Cuba, led by Canada with more than 1 million, and included Britain, Argentina, Mexico, Venezuela, Chile, Colombia and Russia.
Tourism, the second biggest source of foreign-currency revenues for the Cuban economy after technical and professional services, has taken in more than $2.1 billion annually over the last few years.
The Caribbean island for the first time topped the number of 2.5 million foreign tourists last year, while official projections point to almost 3 million in 2012.
- Cuba to increase hotel capacity - May 10, 2012
- Almost half of Cuba's foreign visitors are Canadians - Apr 28, 2012
- Cuba tourism revenues go up - Aug 10, 2011
- Cuba receives over 1.8 mn visitors - Aug 21, 2012
- More foreign tourists go to Cuba, but revenues fall - Jan 29, 2010
- Cuba estimates 2011 oil, gas output at four mn tonnes - Dec 22, 2011
- Spain welcomed six mn foreign tourists - Jul 24, 2012
- Mexico's tourism activity grows - Aug 15, 2012
- Cuba to enlarge farm programme to boost rice output - Dec 06, 2011
- Cuba expands phone connections - Dec 28, 2011
- Cuba seeks to boost alternative energy production - Jun 11, 2012
- Cuba receives a million visitors - Apr 06, 2012
- `Cuba's water treatment system needs to be fixed' - Jul 21, 2012
- Growth in Cuba private sector restaurants, lodging - May 11, 2012
- Cuba to invest $450 mn to boost rice production - May 12, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, 1 million, 5 million, caribbean island, cuba, cuban economy, currency revenues, efe, foreign currencies, foreign currency, havana, madrid, marrero, National Statistics Office, nationals, news agency, professional services, russia tourism, tourism minister, tourists