Cuba, Venezuela sign joint projects worth over $3 bnDecember 13th, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Dec 13 (RIA Novosti) Venezuela and Cuba have signed agreements on 285 joint projects totalling about $3.16 billion at the summit of a regional trade bloc in Havana.
Speaking after the signing of the documents, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said that the countries began intensifying cooperation “in 2000 with 17 modest projects worth some $30 million”.
“This is a mechanism of cooperation, which has no other precedents in the world. It is unbelievable how it grew up in the last 10 years,” he added.
Cuban leader Raul Castro thanked his Venezuelan counterpart adding that Venezuela will remain trade partner number one for Cuba.
Trade between Venezuela and Cuba has reached $8.7 billion, mainly in the health, education, agriculture and energy sectors.
Over 40,000 Cuban experts are working in Venezuela to help the poverty-stricken Latin American country improve its health care and education systems.
ALBA, or the Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America, was founded by former Cuban leader Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez in 2005 and now comprises nine members - Venezuela, Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominica, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Antigua and Barbuda.
- Chavez writes off Haiti's oil debt to Venezuela - Jan 26, 2010
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Cuba, Venezuela ink deals worth $3.16 bn - Dec 14, 2009
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Ahmadinejad visits Cuba - Jan 12, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Ailing Chavez returns to Venezuela - Jul 05, 2011
- Cancer-hit Chavez to leave Cuba next week - Mar 09, 2012
- Cuba releases photos of Chavez recuperating - Jul 04, 2011
- South America backs Ecuador's asylum offer to Assange - Aug 20, 2012
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: antigua and barbuda, cuba trade, cuban leader fidel, cuban leader fidel castro, education systems, energy sectors, fidel castro, health education, hugo chavez, latin american country, partner number, president hugo chavez, raul castro, regional trade, ria novosti, saint vincent and the grenadines, trade bloc, trade partner, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez