Cuba tourism revenues go upAugust 10th, 2011 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Aug 10 (IANS/EFE) Cuba’s revenues from tourism jumped 13 percent in the first half of the year compared with the same period in 2010, authorities said.
According to the National Statistics Office, or ONE, figures, total income from Cuba’s tourism sector between January-July amounted to $990,464, while in 2010 it was $874,513.
Profits are being reported this year in such areas as hotels, retail sales, gastronomy and transport, and losses in others such as recreation.
Official data indicates that more than 1.5 million foreign tourists visited Cuba in the first six months of the year, an increase of 10.6 percent over last year.
Canada headed the list of the leading sources of tourists to the island, followed by Britain, Italy, France and Spain, while Argentina remains the island’s most important and fastest growing market in Latin America.
Tourism, the second largest contributor to the nation’s economy after technical and professional services, last year earned $2.1 billion from the visits of some 2.5 million tourists.
This year Cuba will welcome 2.7 million tourists, above all from Canada and Europe, according to tourism ministry estimates.
- Cuba to increase hotel capacity - May 10, 2012
- Cuba welcomed over 2.7 mn tourists in 2011 - Jan 22, 2012
- Almost half of Cuba's foreign visitors are Canadians - Apr 28, 2012
- Cuba receives a million visitors - Apr 06, 2012
- Growth in Cuba private sector restaurants, lodging - May 11, 2012
- Cuba expands phone connections - Dec 28, 2011
- Cuba to invest $450 mn to boost rice production - May 12, 2012
- By 2030, nearly a third of Cubans will be over 60 - Sep 11, 2012
- Cuba to enlarge farm programme to boost rice output - Dec 06, 2011
- Tourist arrivals rise in Cuba - Jul 24, 2009
- Cuba says it already had over 2 million visitors this year, despite economic crisis - Oct 20, 2010
- More foreign tourists go to Cuba, but revenues fall - Jan 29, 2010
- US embargo has cost us $2 bn in investment: Cuba - Oct 14, 2010
- Cuba estimates 2011 oil, gas output at four mn tonnes - Dec 22, 2011
- Cuba working on anti-cancer treatment using scorpion venom - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, 5 million, contributor, cuba tourism, efe, gastronomy, havana, italy france, latin america, losses, months of the year, National Statistics Office, professional services, profits, retail sales, six months, tourism ministry, tourism revenues, tourism sector, tourists