Criminal case against Delhi-Jaipur highway builderAugust 28th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Aug 28 (IANS) A criminal complaint was registered Tuesday against the company constructing the 225-km Delhi-Jaipur Expressway for putting the life of commuters into danger and blocking emergency services. Traffic on the highway remained affected for the second consecutive day after heavy rains damaged a sizeable portion.
Traffic jam was caused on the Delhi-Jaipur-Mumbai highway due to rain-inflicted damage to a portion near Naurangpur and Rampura, 44-45 km from Delhi. For more than 48 hours, Vehicles were reduced to crawling pace, said a police officer.
“The problem was big and the contractor company did not take it seriously. We have booked PCEPL officials for causing danger to commuters’ life, blocking the way and putting emergency services on the hold,” Assistant Commissioner of Police Ravinder Kumar Tomar told IANS.
While constructing the slip road (temporary road for diversion of traffic) at the National Highway (NH-8) on that stretch, the company used sub-standard material that could not bear the load of traffic during the rains, police said.
The General Manager of PCEPL, Vinod Batra said heavy and prolonged rains were not expected. “We are carrying out our internal inquiry too,” Batra told IANS. The traffic woes may continue for another two days, he said.
On the complaint of a traffic policeman, the case against the Pink City Expressway Private Limited (PCEPL) was registered under various sections of the IPC, police said.
The police were forced to divert traffic going towards Jaipur-Mumbai through the Sohna-Bhiwadi-Dharuhera and Pataudi-Rewari routes but the situation remained grim, the police said.
The eight-lane expressway, being constructed at a cost of Rs.1,800 crore, from Kherki Daula (end point of Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway) to Jaipur was scheduled to be completed in 2011.
- Suzuki caught in four-hour traffic jam - Aug 27, 2012
- Operator charges toll at two Gurgoan plazas - Sep 05, 2012
- 10 killed in Gurgaon road accident (Lead) - Nov 16, 2011
- Three killed, 15 injured in bus mishap near Gurgaon - Jul 10, 2012
- NTPC engineer murdered in Gurgaon - Jul 28, 2012
- Protest in Chhattisgarh capital against toll plaza - Jan 11, 2012
- Jam free traffic promised on Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway - Sep 19, 2012
- Haryana expressway to de-congest Delhi traffic delayed again - Dec 23, 2010
- Maruti may opt for CISF cover for Manesar plant - Jul 23, 2012
- Free ride on Gurgaon expressway till Sep 25 - Sep 20, 2012
- Two toll employees on Gurgaon Expressway held for extortion - Sep 21, 2012
- Suzuki plants get police cover, workers slam move - Jul 20, 2012
- SC declines to interfere with expressway's toll order - Sep 12, 2012
- Toll rates hiked on Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway - Apr 01, 2010
- Top cop who took on Gurgaon toll plaza transferred - Sep 18, 2012
Tags: assistant commissioner, batra, city expressway, commissioner of police, contractor company, criminal case, criminal complaint, dharuhera, inflicted damage, internal inquiry, jaipur, lane expressway, pink city, sizeable portion, slip road, sohna, temporary road, traffic jam, traffic policeman, traffic woes