Crew rostering goof up by Air India delays flightsJune 7th, 2011 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 7 (IANS) Erroneous crew rostering by national carrier Air India left more than 300 passengers stranded at the international airport here for more than 12 hours.
An Air India official told IANS that the two flights of Air India Express which were scheduled to depart Monday night at 7 p.m. to Dubai and 7.50 p.m. to Abu Dhabi, respectively, could not take off as the pilots had not done a minimum of 500 hours flying.
“During the monsoon season, it is mandatory that pilots should have completed a minimum of 500 hours. A faulty scheduling from those concerned caused this delay,” said the official who did not wish to be identified.
“Both flights did take off Tuesday morning after 8 a.m. when experienced pilots were put in charge,” he added.
But another official revealed that the pilots who were deputed to fly out the delayed flights were supposed to man flights to Muscat at 8.30 a.m. and Sharjah at 8.45 a.m., respectively, Tuesday morning. This led to more chaos.
“A huge crowd of agitated passengers to Muscat and Sharjah who came early morning are waiting now. The flight to Muscat is now scheduled to leave at 1 p.m and to Sharjah in the night,” said the airline official who preferred anonymity.
- Trains, flights disrupted as fog blinds Delhi (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Fog hits air, rail traffic in cold Delhi (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Fog hits Delhi, disrupts flights, trains (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Air Arabia to increase frequency from Nagpur - May 29, 2012
- AI's Mumbai-Chennai flight delayed 9 hours - May 29, 2010
- Flights delayed at Delhi as T3 has blackout - Aug 07, 2011
- Biting cold thaws a little, but fog disrupts travel (Roundup) - Dec 20, 2011
- Air India pilots to call off strike (Roundup) - Jul 03, 2012
- Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Air India flies out stranded British Airways passengers - May 26, 2012
- Thick fog in cold Delhi, commuters hit - Jan 19, 2012
- Kingfisher woes force fliers to shift to rival airlines - Feb 20, 2012
- Air Arabia to start daily flights to Kenya - Mar 14, 2011
- Air India pilots call in sick, passengers stranded (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Dense fog affects road, rail, air traffic (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: abu dhabi, air india, air india express, airline official, anonymity, carrier air, chaos, crowd, delayed flights, dubai, fly, monday night, monsoon season, national carrier, sharjah, tuesday morning