Court tells Delhi power regulator to notify tariff hikeJuly 11th, 2012 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 11 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday directed the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) to notify the recent hike in electricity tariff.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Anil Kumar asked the DERC to inform the court within a week about the publication of the new tariff order.
The power regulator recently announced an average over-20 percent hike in power tariff for homes. The new rates came into effect from July 1.
The court was hearing a petition filed by Ravinder Kumar, a member of the Delhi Bharatiya Janata Party’s executive committee, who alleged that the tariff hike came into effect without a notification.
The petition said that the regulator had allowed private power distribution companies (discoms) to raise the tariff without any notification and that so far no reasons have been cited which made the hike necessary.
“The hike was against public interest and without justification and transparency,” the petition said.
- 'CAG to audit accounts of Delhi discoms' - Mar 12, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi power regulator over tariff - Apr 24, 2012
- Court questions Delhi power firms on audit of accounts (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Delhi agrees to CAG audit of power companies - Sep 14, 2011
- Court fines Sheila Dikshit Rs.3,000 - Jan 06, 2012
- Power tariff hike inevitable: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sheila Dikshit calls power tariff hike 'inevitable' - Jul 02, 2012
- Government withdraws direction to DERC on power tariff - Feb 11, 2011
- Court moved on Delhi's power tariff - Jan 14, 2011
- Delhi homes hit by 20 percent power rate hike - Jun 26, 2012
- Court raps Delhi government, power regulator - Jan 26, 2011
- Settle defamation case amicably: Court urges Dikshit, BJP leader - Mar 15, 2012
- Delhi electricity regulator asked to spell out 2010-11 tariff - Sep 09, 2010
- Settle defamation case, court tells Dikshit, BJP leader - Apr 24, 2012
- Delhi's power tariff hike comes into effect - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: anil kumar, bharatiya janata party, chief justice, delhi electricity regulatory commission, delhi high court, derc, division bench, electricity regulatory commission, electricity tariff, executive committee, justification, New Delhi, petition, power distribution companies, power regulator, power tariff, private power, public interest, ravinder, tariff hike