Court stays Rs.11 lakh fine imposed on Yahoo IndiaSeptember 14th, 2011 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday stayed the Controller of Certifying Authorities (CCA) order asking Yahoo India to pay Rs.11 lakh as penalty for its failure to provide email information of a person in national interest.
Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw also directed Yahoo India to furnish the requisite information within a week and fixed the matter for Nov 8.
The court was hearing a petition filed by Yahoo India, which came in appeal before the high court challenging the CCA direction to pay Rs.11 lakh fine.
The government had sought some information, on the grounds of national security, from CCA about some individuals including their email identities. The CCA asked Yahoo India to furnish the details.
“However, Yahoo India failed to provide the information for which it was fined by the CCA under Section 28 of the Information Technology (IT) Act. The authority also issued warning to Yahoo India,” said CCA.
Appearing for Yahoo India, former solicitor general Gopal Subramanium said the firm had complied with the provision of Section 69 of the IT Act and had provided the information.
“CCA is not authorised to impose fine or penalty,” said Yahoo India in its petition.
- AIIMS gets notice for not giving amputees artificial limbs - Feb 29, 2012
- Plea on apex court judge's date of birth rejected (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi over right to education (Lead) - Oct 19, 2011
- Frame right to education rules, Delhi government told (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- School's power supply cut: Court slams government - Aug 30, 2012
- Consider plea for CBI probe against Team Anna: Court (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Order reserved on plea seeking curb on 'illegal charges' by car dealers - Mar 21, 2012
- Student's plea against central board rejected - Sep 03, 2011
- Give blast victims artificial limbs in 3 weeks, AIIMS told - Mar 01, 2012
- Green signal for high-security number plates in Delhi - Aug 26, 2011
- Fill vacant seats for poor students in summer vacations: Court - Apr 20, 2012
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged - Sep 12, 2012
- Black money: Apex court seeks details on government steps - Jan 27, 2011
- Black money: Apex court seeks details on government steps (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Delhi High Court stays court fee hike - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: authorities, cca, delhi high court, email identities, failure, gopal, information technology, national interest, national security, New Delhi, petition, provision, rajiv, sahai, section 28, solicitor general, subramanium, yahoo, yahoo india