Court questions government on vaccinesSeptember 15th, 2010 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 15 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday questioned the central government on allegations of vaccines being introduced into the public health system without proper medical studies.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Manmohan asked the government to study the incidents of diseases for which the vaccines are being developed and whether these vaccines are efficient enough.
The bench asked the government to study the side effects of vaccines and the cost factor involved in preparing them. The next hearing will be Dec 8.
The court was hearing a petition alleging that irrational vaccines were being introduced in the public health system by the government under the influence of vaccine manufacturers and international agencies like the World Health Organization (WHO) without medical studies.
“We just want to highlight how in the absence of a rational vaccine policy, newer and newer vaccines are being pushed by the government into the national immunization programme,” said petitioner’s counsel Prashant Bhushan.
“Vaccines which are either of little utility or which are not required at all are being introduced and promoted by the government at the behest of vested interests,” he said.
“At a time when the government has utterly failed to ensure that every child receives these vaccines and the country is facing a shortage of these vaccines, new vaccines of questionable utility and efficacy are sought to be introduced in an arbitrary and irrational manner and at huge cost,” said Bhushan.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Health ministry served notice on irregular vaccines - Dec 09, 2009
- Fair justice bedrock of good governance: Supreme Court - May 13, 2012
- Court questions university on 'illegal' study centres - Feb 02, 2011
- Court upholds CBSE abolition of Class 10 exams - Sep 01, 2011
- Government panel wants natural resources' auction, SC told - Jul 11, 2012
- 2G: SC to hold hearing on presidential reference (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Delhi government slams critical report on bus corridor (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- NGO ordered to pay Rs.75,000 for transparency law abuse - Oct 20, 2010
- Auction can't be only mode of alloting resources, SC told - Jul 12, 2012
- SC pushes for medical separation of conjoined sisters - Jul 16, 2012
- Lucknow jail death: Apex court favours independent probe (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Review medical test for aspirants, court tells CRPF - Sep 12, 2010
- Court reserves order against DU teachers - May 12, 2011
- SC issues notice on presidential reference on natural resources (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Delhi High Court rejects plea seeking spot for peaceful protests - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: asian news, behest, central government, chief justice, delhi high court, dipak, division bench, efficacy, manmohan, medical studies, misra, national immunization, petitioner, pks, public health system, questionable utility, side effects of vaccines, vaccine manufacturers, vaccine policy, world health organization